Finished Opensource Raspberry Pi Gateway Hat (SX1301/8 base)

Vias, a lot of Via under the chip.
There’s also a complete ground plane, which act as heat sink.
I think it is fine with the heat sink I shipped with the board though.

For anyone watching for Sch and Pcb files,
RPI Zero version is on Github now!

5 Likes

I’m glad you still had 4 in stock, I just ordered one :slight_smile: I hope it won’t take an eternity to arrive… Well, I know it’ll feel like an eternity :slight_smile:

@will3509111, gateway just arrived only took 10 days. Really happy with that.
It looks great, a nice piece of design work. I do like it has a Standard SMA antenna connector, none of this RP stuff!!
Next step is to test its thermal performance.

1 Like

@will3509111. tried to set up the gateway using the pi zero w. However I got stuck when following your TTN network setup. I’m not able to generate the gateway ID using the skript update_gwid.sh becaus there is no eth0 on my pi zero w enabled. Do I miss something?

I think you can still use the update_gwid.sh by replacing eth0 to wlan0 in update_gwid.sh

Hi @will3509111,

I’m very happy with my gateway so far. The only problem is that it seems to get halted from time to time. I don’t know if it’s software issue. But it seems so. I reboot the packet forwarder and everything goes back to normal.

Do you have any experience about this?

Best regards,

Yes I did,
I think the problem might be Packet Forwarder will exit when it receive unknown format package?

Don’t have the log though…
But I did traced a lot of exit(EXIT_FAILURE); in the code, not sure why it doesn’t skip the bad package

I have to take a look to the gw software too. I’m now with the tracker, but’s good to know. Thank you for feedback.
Best regards,

Would it be possible to use a pin strip which allows me to attach other shields to the Raspberry Pi or is it unrecommended?

Versions 3 and 2 mention stacking PI hats including the PoE hat is possible but you might want to disable the GPS if another HAT/shield is using the UART pins https://github.com/will127534/LoRa-concentrator

Specifically this one uses GPIO 7,8,9,10,11 (SPI bus) and 25 so you can probably still use a I2C or PWM shield.

1 Like

the packet forwarder is a pretty small bit of code. Why does this need to run on something as big as a raspberry pi. How about running on a moderate microprocessor running FreeRTOS + TCP?

the libloragw is already ported to STM32 https://github.com/Lora-net/picoGW_mcu
end the packet forwarder can run on smaller devices as ESP8266

1 Like

Exactly, it doesn’t really need to use Raspberry Pi as packet forwarder.
But it is easier to set up, and I think many people have one extra or previous version of raspberry pi laying around. :smile:

I hope I can build one with ESP32 though, or Atmel SAM E series MCU.

1 Like

Im working with a Sam R34 right now, and its great. ( as a node )

Hence the emergence of products like the $69 TIG = PicoGW bd + (ESP32?) MCU running Packet Forwarder/Basic Station S/w + WiFi/TCP/IP stack,simple Config AP/webserver i/f and…not much else! :slight_smile: Simple to config and deploy but not something to run all the other s/w often associated with larger scale CPU GW systems.

what does the PicoGW have inside for its radio gear?

it appears to be this one

so no suprizes there, its standard Semtech stuff. Do you happen to know what the microprocessor is?

Thinking that an extension to this gateway hat is to stick a processor on it, and not have to have a seperate PI.