Firing up the new LLCC68 transceiver

Hi all,
I am in the process of trying to get the new Semtech LoRa tranceiver LLCC68 up and running.
This is one of their latest offerings which basically a stripped down SX1262 that doesn’t support a number of Spreading Factor and Bandwidth combinations.
That means that it can not be LoRaWAN qualified, but can still make use of the LoRa network.

Has anybody else made any progress in this area?

I am using a standard mbed shield supported on a Renesas RE01 baseboard.
This run perfectly with a SX1261 shield, but I cannot get it up and running with the LLCC68, despite limiting the SF/BW options.

Cheers, Lou

So is this Semtech LoRa tranceiver LLCC68 not able to operate on a LoRaWAN\TTN network ?

Hi LoRa Tracker,
it is my belief that it should, but I haven’t been able to get it to operate as yet.
As it has a few SF and BW limitations it is not completely LoRaWAN certifiable, but should be able to work within a limited range for e.g. home applications with a close-range Gateway.

Cheers,

Hi all,

after a tip from Semtech support I checked the join settings for the LLCC68.
Initially I had them at SF12 & BW125, but this is a forbidden setting for the LLCC68.
After changing them to SF9 & BW125 I can now join and upload data to the TTN.

The LLCC68 is as far as I know the lowest cost LoRa transceiver available.
See: https://www.semtech.com/products/wireless-rf/lora-transceivers/llcc68

Cheers,
Lou

And as it can not be used to implement a LoRaWAN compliant stack it is not for use on a LoRaWAN network like TTN…

I wondered if that was the case.

If not compliant for use on TTN, I also wonder what the intended market is ?

Hi Jac,

I am running a LoRaWAN stack, but curbing some of the SF/BW configurations.
Therefore it’s not completely LoRaWAN compliant.
The intended use is, as far as I know, domestic and industrial use within limited range applications.
i.e. “Smart Home”.

Cheers,
Lou

1 Like

I suspect the problem is this:

• If you don’t use ADR, then it can probably be LoRaWAN compliant.
  • But not using ADR is bad, because you might camp out on an excessively slow spreading factor, consuming network capacity unecessarily
  • But if you do use ADR, and the network commands SF10 or higher, you won’t be able to do that, so the network may keep wasting even more precious downlink bandwidth trying to get you to switch to a spreading factor, which you simply cannot.

Seems like it would take a minor spec tweak to make this work.

1 Like

As @cslorabox suggested an update to the LoRaWAN specification could fix the compatibility issues, I wouldn’t be surprised if such an update is a work in progress within the Lora Alliance. ( I am not a member so this is just speculation)

I should have been more specific: the LLCC68 is LoRaWAN compliant, but because of the limited Spreading Factors that are supported it is not LoRaWAN certifiable.

@LouThings Thanks for giving information about LLcc68 with lorawan. Can you share reference library for this?. I want to use On msp430 controller.

Hi Bhadresh I am not sure of what you are asking. The datasheet of the LLCC68 can be found on the Semtech site and I am using the standard LoRaWAN stack from Semtech that is available on Github. The only things I have changed are the SF options and join settings.

Ok. I will work with code given by semtech on github.
The combination of SF and BW i need to change it.
But what change required in join?

Hi Bhadresh, like I mention in a previous post: you must change the join settings to: SF9 & BW125

Ok . Thanks.

And your set up involves TTN how exactly? Have you asked on the Chirpstack forum?

1 Like

I have an LLCC68 module that I connected to arduino uno, I also have an account created and “device eui”, “app eui” and “app key” generated, how to send data?

what library to use to connect the lora LLCC68 module to the TTN network, for me the module has the following pins: m0, m1, tx, tx, aux, gnd, vcc?

I also have the same problem
Using the ebyte e220-900T22D
How do i change the SF and Bandwith?

That is a Lora module which does not support LoRaWAN and as such off topic for this forum.