Gateway choice: TTIG vs. LPS8

I bought a Dragino sensor to make a new-mail sensor, but found that it does not reach the TTN node I was hoping for … so now I “need” a gateway as well - these projects tend to get out of hand…

Since I do not have any other plans, I do not want to spend more money than necessary for this. Also, I want something that looks like a device, not a PCB.

I did some reading and checked prices in and to Norway, which basically narrowed my choices to TTIG (The Things Indoor Gateway) and Dragino LPS8 - looks like I can get them for basically the same price, since LPS8 can be bought in Norway, while TTIG must be imported.

What are the major differences I should consider while deciding between the two? And what about range?

There is a longer answer and a short answer! If you are happy with WiFi based connectivityy to internet backhaul and not worried about an open source platform - i.e. just want a low cost enabler GW then the TTIG is fine, though it has a few issues - improving over time as TTI/TTN team adapt implementation. It is currently ‘patched’ into the TTN V2 backend instance as it uses Basicstation that isnt natively supported. That should (will!) improve once community network moves fully to V3 instance (next year). The LPS8 has advantage of also supporting wired Ethernet, if that is your pref. Typically LPS8 is a few $'s/10’s$'s more but sounds like your local situation mitigates the price difference. I have used (and continue to use) both with good results.
Therefore if lowest price & WiFi only with other issues not a concern use TTIG, if you want option for Wired then LPS8. :slight_smile: If you want a GW function only either is fine, if you want a developer GW or some degree of s/w freedeom or flexibility then look elsewhere…

In my opinion, the TTIG has too few configuration options. You can configure the WiFi uplink and that’s it.
All other, quite common, modifications involve opening the housing and thus voiding the guarantee.

If it’s for the same price, my recommendation would definitely be the LPS8.
A look at a gateway based traffic console can sometimes be very helpful.
And changing or extending the antenna via a normal SMA connection offers the possibility of improving the transmission and reception conditions.

1 Like

The TTIG is wifi only, flaky, closed source, and thus unfixable.

The LPS8 is a conventional embedded linux gateway/router type platform where you can rebuild all of the key parts from source and use whatever sort of backhaul internet connectivity you end up desiring.

Thanks for answers.
I have now ordered LPS8. (One additional advantage of buying from Norway is automatic 5-year guarantee, given by law in Norway.)