Gateway is connected but no data coming through

Hello all

One of my gateways stopped receiving any data around midday on March 25. The Gateway still shows as connected on my TTN console (gets pinged every 30 seconds), however there is no longer any sensor data coming through, not even join requests.

The gateway has a 4G backhaul, and after checking the data usage before and after the 25th I’m confident the sensor data is still coming through the SIM card, it’s just not getting through to TTN for some reason.

My first instinct was to delete the gateway on TTN and re-register it but I’ve read in a few places this is a bad idea.

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening / how I could go about fixing this?

The Gateway is a Kerlink Wirnet iStation and it’s pointed at the ttn-router-eu server

Thanks

Which router is the gateway registered at? And are the applications using the same region for their handler?

Indeed, you should not do that unless you’re sure your forwarder does not require a specific gateway ID during registration; see Passing on a gateway to a new owner. Also, I doubt it would help: even if you would mess up a gateway’s ownership then TTN would probably still accept and route its data. You would not be able to see that in TTN Console if TTN cannot verify the gateway is yours, but the device’s application should still get it forwarded.

Just to be sure: why do you explicitly mention join requests? For a gateway these are just uplinks.

Also, just to be sure: it’s not only about not seeing anything in the gateway’s Traffic page in TTN Console, right? That is known to be buggy. So: you’re not getting any device data (received by that gateway) through, e.g., MQTT or another API?

Do you have devices for which uplinks were received by multiple gateways? If yes, are these indeed not showing this gateway in the metadata anymore either?

Good thinking! :+1: If, however, you see some drop, then maybe the status messages account for more 4G data than the actual uplinks. Can you also access the Kerlink’s command line to see its logs?

I think I saw this problem reported earlier, for which restarting the packet forwarder actually helped. But then, of course, you would be in the dark as for the reason…

Thanks for getting back to me.

About 1 hour after I posted this the issue resolved itself, I’m not sure what changed but the data suddenly started coming through!

I’m not sure if the issue was something related to TTN or my account, the data was not being forwarded onto my frontend via my HTTP integration, so I’m assuming it never even made it to TTN.

I have a TTIG that was sending data just fine throughout this.

The Kerlink Gateway is halfway across the country from me so I can’t do maintenance on it easily. Hopefully this is a blip but would be good to know what the cause was if this happens again further down the line.

This issue has recently appeared again (July 4th around 9pm). As before it only seems to affect my Kerlink Wirnet iStation.

I’ve tried power cycling the device multiple times to no avail. I’m wondering now if the device attempted an OTA update and changed a setting it shouldn’t have.

Is anyone else experiencing a similar problem with this gateway?

Share the system logs (/var/log/messages) and LoRa logs so that we can help pinpoint the issue.

@bduffez, I think the moment may have passed!

For next time :blush:

1 Like