Gateway migration V2 to V3 is a mess, coverage is bad

Today a drive test vehicle was sent out to collect coverage data of the TTN network. The result was disconcerting and worries me very much. I would expect that there is a consistent picture of all V2 and V3 gateways receiving packets and that V2 and V3 applications get all the same data but unfortunately that is not the case.

The following image shows V2 coverage on the left and the V3 coverage on the right. It is obvious that coverage is different.

V2 V3

Therefore I would like to call-out: Migrate! make sure that coverage is continued!

3 Likes

FYI: Viewing this post on my phone the maps are drawn on top of (not next to) each other and at first look like they are a single map because there’s no spacing between them.

Is gateway migration really a mess or is the coverage issue caused by broker related issues?

The initial migration advice was to migrate gateways latest.

There can be several reasons for why V2 gateways have not yet been migrated to V3, e.g.:

• People have not yet migrated their V2 devices and applications.
  • People have not yet been able to physically access gateways deployed ‘in the field’ e.g. due to pandemy restrictions and/or difficult to reach locations.
  • “Everything previously deployed works fine. I actually never visit the forum. V3, whats that?”.

Regarding the latter, I don’t remember if emails have previously gone out to all TTN accounts to inform about the migration and termination of V2 later this year or that this was only communicated during the conference and on the forum.

The problem will not so much resolve itself but will definitely become quantifiable in the afternoon on the 1st December.