Gateway no JOIN devices

Hello, I have a GATEWAY registered,

eui-e45f01fdfe92f4d1-1
Brand: Dragino
Model: HP0D
Antenna: RAK Glass Fiber 8dBi 130cm

I have a Dragino LoRaWAN LGT-92 GPS and when I turn it on I see that these packets arrive at the antenna:

JoinEUI xxxxxxxx DevEUI xxxxxxxxx but nothing else…

If I take my GPS tracker to another nearby antenna it starts to work and when I bring it closer to it the device works through my antenna, but only for a couple of days.

It is as if my antenna had a problem and it only transmits but does not register the device on the network. Can you help me?

thanks

Are you using purely as TTN GW or attempting a dual use Helium + TNN at same time?

Stick with something closer to isotropic radiation pattern and lower gain - 2-3.5dbi just fine…higher gains often mean null in coverage - which can then cause connection issues - you need clear RF to debg systems rather than attempting to debug systems at same time as RF implementation… Helium philosophy very different to TTN - we are about coverage and the community - Helium takes the view that you reward GW’s being able to ‘see’ each other and witness - irrespective of distance and the further the better…even if that stuffs the area coverage as a result of the nulls high gain ants can create etc…

Attempting to run two networks and service extreme RF conditions will generally lead to poor/sub-optimal results for both even potentially creating a low level DoS attack on each as neither network will know what the other is attempting to do with the GW potentially cause intereference and loss of messages to both…

I am using both networks at the same time helium and TTN. I understood that with this equipment I could use both at the same time without problems… I can put a much smaller antenna on it without problem.

but does anyone know what is the problem for not linking the device to the network???

Dont!

See above!

Also, which network is the LGT registered under?

Also, higher gain can mean you risk saturating RF front end and/or getting channel bleed, especially when gw & node close, so device doesnt recognise/register message…

…there is so much that can go wrong with your set up…and a wealth of knowledge amongst the community/volunteers that could help but you need to provide lots of details, follow advice, and you need to run the network as intended not beat it with a sledgehammer…

Thats called ‘marketing’!

Unlikely - not guaranteed…see above!

The fact is that once the device has joined the TTN network in another antenna, it does work with my TTN+HELIUM antenna.

But if you don’t have the JOIN done in another antenna with mine, you won’t be able to do a JOIN.

As this forum is exclusively LoRaWAN on TTN, please do not expect there to be much in the way of expertise in running a gateway for TTN that also runs a Helium Miner.

Nor is this something that is appropriate for us to discuss given the funding of the forum. Or encourage.

I suggest you ask on the Dragino forum as they should be able to help you.

I think I already have the solution, I had HELIUM as the first network and TTN as the second network:

Now I have turned them around and it seems to work, I will do more tests but it seems that it works well:

How will you test that it does not impact on the users of TTN in the vicinity of the Gateway ?

I’m doing tests right now everything seems perfect.

In my area there is no other exterior GATEWAY (neither helium nor TTN). And right now it seems that all the TTN sensors in the area work without any problem connected to my antenna.

I have the sensors monitored in the free app atlaslocator.com and I see that everything works without problem.

YOU HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING THAT! Users can elect to make their systems public (showing on maps) or not, also peering networks collaborating with TTN or TTI instances wont be visible to you but will still rely on TTN/TTI implemented GW’s. IF you wish to use TTN DO NOT USE IN PARALLEL WITH ANOTHER NETWORK! Also a remote node seeing and using your GW may have previously been using another GW well outside your immediate area (think about a node positioned say 45% of distance between your GW and another), remember LoRa = Long Range - you cannot dictate usage and behaviour…

IF Helium attempts to e.g… beacon your GW to have others witness it and earn rewards it will be deaf to ALL TTN (and indeed Helium) nodes that may be uplinking or attempting to join and they will fail…your selfish use of Helium as parallel network will therefore be a DoS to TTN users…as requested PLEASE STOP!

If Helium is sending DLs to Helium nodes, it wont hear TTN Nodes…effecting a DoS attack…PLEASE STOP!

If Helium and TTN using your GW for downlinks neither will know if the GW available at that specific time to handle its own DL’s and also as the Network managed GW Duty Cycle it will have no way of knowing if there is a risk of GW breaching Duty Cycle limits (Think Jail Time!!!) and may fail - again a DoS attack on TTN users…PLEASE STOP!

…starting to see a message here yet???

If you want to run paired broken networks do so with Helium and another Network instance…Not TTN. :man_shrugging:

ok, I’ll put a TTN gateway and a HELIUM gateway then, no problem. I can have 2 independent systems without problem, right?