Gateway Status message frecuency

Hi All, working with SenseCAP LoRaWAN Gateway, which is sending status messages every 30 seconds (type.googleapis.com/ttn.lorawan.v3.GatewayStatus).
Not sure if possible how I can change this number to a couple of minutes, the gateway will be installed in a remote facility and we need to improve 4G network cost

Gw status update rate discussed extensively over the years…. Use forum search to see why it’s nominally 30sec and why extending significantly not considered a good idea or recommended. There will be line in the device config file that will set value that you will need to change if determined to increase (a little), at risk of rendering you gw (occasionally) unusable in low traffic area… a DoS on yourself if pushed too far! A small increase will have little significant impact in monthly data use for most data plans……

What are the calculations you have so far?

Size of status message, frequency, total usage across the billing period, percentage of total traffic compared to uplinks (& downlinks), cost of packages from network provider with data limits, cost per MB for each package and most importantly …

… consequential cost of purchase, setup & running of the kit to end up not receiving any benefit because one cost element was squeezed too hard.

Some gateways with mobile backhauls are servicing just half a dozen devices but save the user thousands every year because of the early warning they get from the data. So it is appropriate to look at the potential return of investment in terms of the consequential losses from overly optimising.

Status updates are well under the typical MTU for a connection but the networks rarely say if that’s the minimum charge unit but it’s a reasonable assumption. Looking at current UK data only SIM deals, using the lowest priced which is not necessarily the best value in terms of £$/megabyte, the status updates would cost £0.30 per month.

We made some tests using Telus network provider in Canada.
Based on Telus’s consumption board, the GW uses 10 megabytes daily, only sending status messages every 30 seconds to TTN. That sounds like a lot

Is this actual consumption or what they are billing you for? Do they show the number of packets & size of data? What rounding do they do? Pretty much all the things I mentioned a week ago.

How do you know?

Is it relaying any uplinks?

The gateway runs Linux, have you turned off all other process?

As above, there is a huge amount of “so what” going on here because you’ve not actually responded to the questions. For me it’s a whole 14 pence per month in the UK so unless you can provide more details, I for one am struggling to see what the issue is, a gateway runs in to $100’s, a few pence a month to run it at minimum seems to be almost nothing.

Certainly does sound like a lot. I just checked a random 4G connected gateway and over the last few months it has been doing about 130MB a month including LoRaWAN traffic (not a lot, but there certainly is traffic) and remote management traffic.

Another one with more LoRaWAN traffic uses about 175MB a month.

Those numbers are what the telco bills show.