Gateway time wrong by one hour

Hello all,
My gateway (DIY raspberry pi) is giving a time that is exactly one hour off. I already checked the time on the raspberry pi itself, and that is correct. So somewhere something strange is happening. See image for output on console when receiving messages.The time that is correct is at the top, 11:11:49.
Thanks! :slight_smile:

Where in the world is the gateway? Looks like 1hr calculated offset from Zulu time (UTC/GMT) - note z at end of timestamp. A guess would be local time - say UKT in timestamp being shown as CET in Console?!..

The gateway is in the Netherlands. Using the command “date” through SSH:

And using “timedatectl”

https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/forum/t/difference-between-meta-time-and-gateway-time/8117/2

Thanks @BoRRoZ , so if I understand correctly:
meta time == time packet was processed at backend
gateway time == time packet was received by gateway

This means both the “gateway time” and the “backend time” are wrong then? (since in my case these values are the same and both wrong)
How could I change these?

…so its correct then!? Console (Human Interface!) reflects locality - CET 11:11:49, Local time for Rpi - CET 11:11:49, and Metadata as recorded by the NS (ref Zulu/UTC - Machine Interface) is 10:11:49 :slight_smile:
No problem :+1:

What is the “NS”? Aaah okay so metadata is always given in terms of UTC?
Thanks!

Network Server - the arbiter of all things LoRaWAN! :slight_smile: Responsible for e.g. download GW selection, duty-cycle management, network decryption, routing to Join & ID servers, App servers, etc… e.g. in EMEA we tend to use one behind .eu. router but local times may vary - UK & Ireland, CET, S.Africa, Cyprus, Russia, Turkey, Israel etc. so UTC used as common m/c level basis for transactions. Packets regularly cross the English Channel and south North Sea, and system would get very confused if packets seen an hour adrift if using local timezone :wink:

1 Like

That makes sense. Thanks a lot for the explanation! :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.