Gemtek Indoor Femto LoRaWAN Gateway - Anyone else using one?

I’ve had one of these gateways for a week now. After entering the provision code that the local supplier gave me the web interface had the Packet Forwarder settings where I could enter the router address and ports for TTN.

I am however disappointed that this gateway only allows me to configure it via WiFi and not via Ethernet. Also SSH is not available on either WiFi or Ethernet.

So I opened the case by removing the two Torx 8.5 (T9 too big, T8 too small) screws. Inside I found a serial port. The four pins closest to the SMA connector:

SMA
        RX  TX  GND  NC

I opened a serial terminal on my computer at 57600 baud and was able to see the log output of the gateway. See attached.

It seems like this gateway uses an MT7620 SOC and the CPU runs at 580MHz. It runs MIPS OpenWrt Linux-3.10.14, has 256MB DDR2 RAM.

The gateway seems to try and detect a specific list of 3G/LTE dongles at startup:

[/usr/bin/3g_init.sh] Not detected 3/4G USB dongle(vendor=0x19d2 product=0x0017)!
[/usr/bin/3g_init.sh] Not detected 3/4G USB dongle(vendor=0x15eb product=0x7d0e)!
[/usr/bin/3g_init.sh] Not detected 3/4G USB dongle(vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1506)!
[/usr/bin/3g_init.sh] Not detected 3/4G USB dongle(vendor=0x2c7c product=0x0125)!
[/usr/bin/3g_init.sh] Not detected 3/4G USB dongle(vendor=0x05c6 product=0x9215)!
vendor:product Name from firmware comments
19d2:0017 ZTE MF 831
15eb:7d0e ABit AK-020
12d1:1506 Huawei E367u-2
2c7c:0125 Quectel EC25/EC20
05c6:9215

OpenWRT does have support for this chipset and this is likely the base for Gemtek’s firmware.
https://openwrt.org/tag/mt7620?do=showtag&tag=mt7620

Seeing as the base firmware is GPLv2, can we request Gemtek for the full source of the gateway’s firmware?

Does anyone have the skills to build a custom clean OpenWRT for this gateway? That would make a nice starting position for a proper TTN firmware with remote management, almost like BalenaCloud.

Gemtek Femto serial log with ethernet.txt (32.9 KB)

It seems like the latest Gemtek firmware does not allow one to download a backup of the configuration. One can however connect to the onboard serial port and open a console there. During bootup a message is displayed to press F and then Enter to enter failsafe mode. In failsafe mode one can most likely modify the shadow file.

Press the [f] key and hit [enter] to enter failsafe mode
Press the [1], [2], [3] or [4] key and hit [enter] to select the debug level
f
- failsafe -
[debug] scenario: SYS_ERR
[debug] LED:[pwr[    8.270000] led=66, on=1, off=4000, blinks,=1, reset=1, time=1
] Act:[off] GPIO:[66]
[debug] LED:[dia[    8.290000] led=70, on=1, off=1, blinks,=4000, reset=1, time=1
g] Act:[blk] GPIO:[70]
uci: I/O error

BusyBox v1.22.1 (2019-07-11 16:21:43 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

ash: can't access tty; job control turned off
d888888b d8b   db d8888b.  .d88b.   .d88b.  d8888b.
  `88'   888o  88 88  `8D .8P  Y8. .8P  Y8. 88  `8D
   88    88V8o 88 88   88 88    88 88    88 88oobY'
   88    88 V8o88 88   88 88    88 88    88 88`8b
  .88.   88  V888 88  .8D `8b  d8' `8b  d8' 88 `88.
Y888888P VP   V8P Y8888D'  `Y88P'   `Y88P'  88   YD

GGGGGGGGGGGGGIIIIIIIIII     OOOOOOOOO     TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
     GGG::::::::::::GI::::::::I   OO:::::::::OO   T:::::::::::::::::::::T
   GG:::::::::::::::GI::::::::I OO:::::::::::::OO T:::::::::::::::::::::T
  G:::::GGGGGGGG::::GII::::::IIO:::::::OOO:::::::OT:::::TT:::::::TT:::::T
 G:::::G       GGGGGG  I::::I  O::::::O   O::::::OTTTTTT  T:::::T  TTTTTT
G:::::G                I::::I  O:::::O     O:::::O        T:::::T
G:::::G                I::::I  O:::::O     O:::::O        T:::::T        
G:::::G    GGGGGGGGGG  I::::I  O:::::O     O:::::O        T:::::T        
G:::::G    G::::::::G  I::::I  O:::::O     O:::::O        T:::::T        
G:::::G    GGGGG::::G  I::::I  O:::::O     O:::::O        T:::::T        
G:::::G        G::::G  I::::I  O:::::O     O:::::O        T:::::T        
 G:::::G       G::::G  I::::I  O::::::O   O::::::O        T:::::T
  G:::::GGGGGGGG::::GII::::::IIO:::::::OOO:::::::O      TT:::::::TT
   GG:::::::::::::::GI::::::::I OO:::::::::::::OO       T:::::::::T
     GGG::::::GGG:::GI::::::::I   OO:::::::::OO         T:::::::::T
        GGGGGG   GGGGIIIIIIIIII     OOOOOOOOO           TTTTTTTTTTT

root@(none):/# help
Built-in commands:
------------------
        . : [ [[ alias bg break cd chdir command continue echo eval exec
        exit export false fg getopts hash help history jobs kill let
        local printf pwd read readonly return set shift source test times
        trap true type ulimit umask unalias unset wait

root@(none):/#

And the contents of the original shadow file

root:$1$fzuH7Qxc$bhcoOifq/HKFHYIYk9krk1:16755:0:99999:7:::
daemon:*:0:0:99999:7:::
ftp:*:0:0:99999:7:::
network:*:0:0:99999:7:::
nobody:*:0:0:99999:7:::
admin:$1$kISzvUen$KWbOWvwQwqDkLh0N4cX00/:16755:0:99999:7:::

To change the password using the failsafe console:

mount_root
sed -i 's/$1$fzuH7Qxc$bhcoOifq\/HKFHYIYk9krk1/$1$kISzvUen$KWbOWvwQwqDkLh0N4cX00\//' /etc/shadow
cat /etc/shadow
sync
reboot

After a reboot you can log into the normal shell.

1 Like

Fantastic work, I’ll keep an eye on your progress. I’ve still got mine in a dusty corner but no time at the moment to tinker.

I did find this, I don’t know if it’s relevant.
https://github.com/wuqiong/rt2860v2-for-openwrt-mt7620

You can ask, I don’t think you’ll get very far. I tried to get info on how to configure it from Gemtek and one of their dealers but as soon as they realized I wasn’t going to buy another one they wouldn’t talk to me anymore. It seems that when you purchase one they will preconfigure your unit for you but won’t release the tools they use to do this. I’m sure the new firmware lock down is probably a response to my earlier posts. I’ve not updated my firmware but of course that doesn’t help anyone who has.

I’m slowly getting further. At this point I can manually start SSH and WEB on the WAN (ehternet) port.

mount_root

sed -i 's/PasswordAuthentication no.*/PasswordAuthentication yes/' /etc/ssh/sshd_config
/app/lora_pkg/cfg_cmd set /app/cfg/lora_WLRGFM-100.ini production main_board SSH_ENABLE 1

/etc/init.d/sshd start

vi /etc/firewall.user

# This file is interpreted as shell script.
# Put your custom iptables rules here, they will
# be executed with each firewall (re-)start.

# Internal uci firewall chains are flushed and recreated on reload, so
# put custom rules into the root chains e.g. INPUT or FORWARD or into the
# special user chains, e.g. input_wan_rule or postrouting_lan_rule.

iptables -A input_wan_rule -p tcp --dport 22  -j ACCEPT
iptables -A input_wan_rule -p tcp --dport 80  -j ACCEPT

Or just disable the firewall:
/etc/init.d/firewall stop

The problem is that the SSH_ENABLE setting does not persist through a reboot, even when I do
/app/lora_pkg/cfg_cmd sync

So after each reboot I need to run:

/app/lora_pkg/cfg_cmd set /app/cfg/lora_WLRGFM-100.ini production main_board SSH_ENABLE 1
/etc/init.d/sshd start

I reset the gateway, but I need to enter the Provision Code, but I forgot to write it down, can someone provide it?

you won’t find it on this board

GEMTEK FEMTO PROVISION CODES
To enable the packet forwarder option 500020001900
Cancel Previous provision code : ffff000FE158
Provision to EU LNS stand alone mode A04CF0FFE900

I have written a setup guide for the WLRGFM-100 gateway for use on TTN US 915 MHZ. Including the provision code, for the people looking for the US version.
Thank you @ madhuvarsha for posting very useful guidance.

1 Like

Hello.
Looks like I bought the US version with a frequency of lora 915mHz.
Can I change the operation to 433mHz or 868 MHz?

First of all, TTN currently does not support 433MHz so that won’t be of any use.

Switching to a different frequency requires the input filters to be adjusted, that is usually hardware which is specific for a frequency band. Your seller should be able to tell you if that change is possible. However, don’t get your hopes up, I haven’t seen any gateways that allow switching frequencies yet.

@ skyden

Agreed with @ kersing
Gemtek, or any other manufacturer that I know, does not support changing the operation of a USA version gateway to EU frequencies or vice versa. There are different gateway products for the US and the EU because of hardware differences.

I agree with you.
I hope I can deal with the apparate part.
Is there any hope to replace the software or is it not available?
I don’t feel like throwing him on a shelf. In my negion hardly anyone needs 915mHz

I apologize, I have been trying to bring this device to my senses for several days. It looks like I have a strange firmware and I don’t understand how to reset or update it.
I tried different ways but there is no result.
Please tell me what to do with it.
Firmware Version WLRGFM-100-Mydevices.LoRa.1.00.16
Kernel Version 3.10.141 2 3

Do you mean this device : http://www.sparklan.com/p2-products-detail.php?PKey=1a01hUS41Zm634yU_t0RC3dpfHtmskHRvC7s_F2byAI&WLRGFM-100%20Series
So to what do you wan’t to connect, i don’t know this product but I see a direct branding off mydevice (cayenne ad dashboard) did you have also a seacht to that.
It looks that it is use a distributed setup like the TTN indoor gateway, and then maybe only connect’s to mydevice infrastructure inplace then TTN.

Yes, this is the device that you showed on the link.
I bought it very spontaneously without suspecting the pitfalls. Now I’m trying to understand what can be done with it.

It looks like this has firmware for mydevices
I just updated the firmware today to
Firmware Version Version 3.04.19 Thu Jul 11 16:11:50 CST 2019

To get this going do you have a Provision code?
Once that is applied you get more options like Packet Forwarder

Could you tell us in more detail how to do this? There is not even a place to enter the code. The firmware is designed for IoT in a Box and is very limited; in fact, only the network is available.

Ok looks like I can’t help that much, sorry.
Mine came direct from Gemtek
Where did you purchase from?
Think as you have established the stumbling block is it’s flashed for mDevices.

If your in EU https://www.comms365.com/ are the importer you might want to try them.
If by chance your going to TTN Conf. Gemtek or Browan as they called now are there.

If you do hit a brick wall I will ask Gemteck directly for you.

do you have access to Gemtek’s firmware for the device? I’m wondering if we flash the mydevices gateway with the Gemtek firmware we may be able to unlock things?

1 Like