Geo fencing and GPS

Hi All, i am looking for some guidance. I am working on developing a vehicle based LoRaWAN system that makes use of GPS and a few other sensors to provide information back to an operations room. I only want the operations room to be alerted to events if they occur in specific areas (known high risk theft areas etc. that the vehicles have to visit). Is it possible to geofence area’s on a map so the system presents an alert if it receives an event and the GPS data places the vehicle within a geofenced area? Thanks in advance

Your question was not related to the topic in which you posted. Next time please create your own topic and do not hijack an existing one.

To answer you question, yes it is. You can incorporate the regions into the node so it won’t send a LoRaWAN packet when outside target regions. However updating the region information would probably require too much data for LoRaWAN downlinks.
The other solution is to send events if they occur, include the gps data and have your application decide if the event is within a alert zone.
There are probably other solutions, this is just what I came up with in 5 minutes. May-be you should give it some thought yourself…

If you limit area shapes to rectangles or circles, updating should be feasible, even through LoRaWAN. On the other side, if vehicles come to base from time to time, there is also the possibility of updating them when they are parked (also considering that likely areas are not changing often).
However, considering that the alarm should go to an operations room and not to the vehicle, there is no strong reason to have areas on the device itself - except limiting uplink traffic, of course.