Getting a TNN (or similar) gateway in America

Hi everybody!

I am so motivated starting a community here in Costa Rica (Central America) but it is been hard to find a seller for a good multi-channel gateway in the United States or Canada with a good cost-value spec. I would love to get a TNN gateway as it seems a popular option but I’m open to suggestions. Other option for me is to buy it online in Europe (Spain preferably) and send it directly to CR by courier.

I appreciate guidelines or tips.

Thanks in advanced Community!

J.

1 Like

If you’re not opposed to a RaspberryPi based gateway there are options available, though for shipment directly from some place in the America’s I’d probably suggest the Sandbox Electronics Multi-Channel Gateway. It’s $150 US which without double checking the exchange to Costa Rica it isn’t that bad cost wise in my mind. For a more router like gateway the cheapest is probably the one from Laird but maybe some others have better ideas for you. Also not sure how much a TTN Gateway would cost for you so it’s a bit hard to compare.

Hi. Sure RPi is an option and $150 is inside the budget! I took a look into the product guide and seems straightforward to make it work. Thank you for your suggestion and the time for respond this post.

J.

No worries, just glad I was able to help.

@jabq I have three TTN gateways currently running in San Jose, CR (2 indoor, 1 outdoor). One of them is located on top of Centro Colon and gets quite good range. Depending on where you are located in San Jose you should be able to connect.

Indoor gateways:

• RAK831 + Raspberry PI (installed in minutes, solid as a rock)
  • TTN Gateway (with the latest update it now seems to be better)

Outdoor gateway on Centro Colon:

• LorixOne
    IMG_20180706_123423

I also have been experimenting with 4 different types of nodes:

• Adafruit Feather M0 Lora
  • MiniWireless Lora (atmega832p + RFM95)
  • RAK811 WisNode in AT mode with arduino
  • RAK811 breakout (programming the STM32 directly)
1 Like

(Por cuestiones de buenos hábitos de comunidad te respondo en inglés)

That is awesome! I wonder why I did not see those gateways on the SJ map. I’m kicking off a community here in Cartago. First step: get a gateway up, even though it be a single channel one. I have a LG01 running with a pair of nodes from a Dragino kit, but that is a limited solution. Want to move to a multi-channel one but I can’t invest to much yet. Above I got a suggestion for a Sandbox Electronics Multi-Channel Gateway. which sounds good for me but I would appreciate your comments about where you got the gateways and $$$ thing.
Pura vida.

1 Like

That’s great! Within the next couple of weeks you should see full TTN gateways at the TEC in Cartago and the UCR in San Pedro.

The LorixOne I got directly from their website in Switzerland.
The TTN Gateway from Newark.com.
And the RAK831 can be found at Aliexpress.

2 Likes

Here are some quick TTN Mapper tests we did a couple of weeks ago:
TTNMAP

2 Likes

Muchas gracias por la info. Avíseme cuando estén montados y tómeme en cuenta si ve que hay algo en lo que pueda colaborar.

1 Like

What frequencies does LoRaWAN use in Costa Rica? Is the whole 902-928 MHz band usable?

Thanks!