GPS Device across different Frequency Regions

Hello,

i am new to LoRaWAN and have the task to create a GPS-End-Device thats used to track a car.
I learned that the LoRa Frequency is different depending on where you live.
So my question is, are End-Devices able to change there frequency automaticaly when they for example travel from Europe to North America? Two different frequencies but one global network (ttn).

Thanks in advance. Sorry if thats already answered in a FAQ. I couldnt find anything.

Current LoRa modules are designed specifically for a particular frequency band. To move between regions (and bands) you would need (with current technology) a module for each frequncy range and likley seperate antennas too.

Thanks for the answer.
I found Devices that support dual frequency but i dont know if it can change automatically or just broadcasts on both frequencies at the same time. I guess no one travels across different regions in this community.

That is never an option. The frequencies allowed in the USA are used by mobile providers in Europe, so transmissions would interfere with commercial radio spectrum users. Something like that applies for EU frequencies in the USA.

Depending on the LoRaWAN stack used you might be able to reset and reinitialize it for use on the other side of the pond. Check Microchips offering, their SAM R34 Xplained Pro Evaluation Kit example code should be multi region.

Yes, there is a dual frequency device, and you need two antennas really. That device is not enough for Worldwide operation.

Its not that “I guess no one travels across different regions in this community” at all, but that the regulators in charge of frequency allocations have not seen fit to provide a single, Worldwide, licence excempt frequency band that could be used, nothing the TTN community can do about that.

Thank you for the answer.
Yes makes sense so the question is just if the Enddevice can change frequencies. I guess the Gateway cant tell the Enddevice that its broadcasting on the wrong band because it also only receives and transmits on the region specific frequency that its in, right?

Correct, even if the Gateways were listening in the wrong band, which they dont anyway, and there is no point in that at all.

Not in the way you think, though the manufacturer is being somewhat misleading.

Typically LoRa chips have distinct RF ports for a low band and a high band. But common LoRaWAN usage including TTN is on two different high bands depends on region; there isn’t a ready way for typical hardware to support that.

Not only is that manufacturer being a bit misleading, they aren’t even telling you which high band what you buy will have its high band networks tuned for.

It’s best to avoid buying from suppliers who give such hints that they don’t know what they are talking about.

Realistically speaking, long before you worry about roaming between different TTN band plans, you should worry about the fact that there’s only typically gateway coverage being donated in select populated (typically urban, or else simply unique in having an enthusiast) locations.

If you truly need global operation, you probably want something that uses a satellite uplink.

Or something like Michelin keeps tire shipments rolling with help of IoT trackers | 2019-08-02 | DC Velocity

… Michelin solution is based on SigFox, which is not truly global yet.

Correct. But if the solution is sufficient for Michelin to track their cross-continent shipments, it might be useful to @EckoSystem .

It can probably only track them through port facilities, key truck waypoints, etc that are outfitted with gateway coverage, not “everywhere”. But that may be sufficient. Look at say end-user level package tracking, you don’t know where your package is, just which facility it most recently passed through and perhaps what is expected to happen next.

2 Likes

Thanks for the alternitive but i have to use LoRaWAN. If global coverage is not possible than thats ok for me.

1 Like

WHY do you have to use LoraWAN? Any solution to a problem should consider the best technology.

It sounds like this request is a task set by your teacher or employer. If they really want to track vehicles, there are many solutions available commercially.

On the other hand, if it is a learning exercise, just get ‘some gear’ and make something that works in your home area, and follows local regulations for Frequency use.

1 Like