GPS Device Recommendation

Any recommendation on the smallest device that provides gps data to azure iot? (assuming there is a gateway already).

Hi @Slashbrackets, the smallest COTS GPS tracker device that I use is the DigitalMatter Yabby.

The manufacturers publish a very good Javascript decoder that works reliably on TTN. They are easy to configure over USB using a downloadable Windows PC utility. By default they uplink based on motion. I also configure some for per 15-mins uplinking.
Most of the volume of the device is taken up with 3x AAA batteries, not the electronics which are very small.
I guess that you could find smaller devices at the cost of battery life.

Look nice ! Do you know the price? Is it possible to buy one in order to perform some tests?

Hi @oberour, I believe that the organisation I work for paid about USD50 per unit in volumes of 100.

I googled them and see them for sale in Europe for Euro69 (quantity 1, discount to Euro56 for higher volumes) at:

1 Like

If you only need 1, you’ll more than double the cost with the configuration cable and cable adapter!

Hi @descartes, the requirement for the USB cable and adapter only applies if the user wants to change the configuration from the motion-triggered default or update the firmware. For default out-of-the-box use it just requires batteries.

so this would be recommended for putting in your backpack to track it or suitcase or something like that?

Hi @Slashbrackets, my recommendation is NO.

Not because of the device but because GPS is unlikely to work reliably inside buildings, etc. I use these devices to track outdoor assets such as vehicles, farm equipment and farm animals.

Also, you should not place an active electronic device with a radio transmitter in luggage on an aircraft and these devices have no external on/off switch.

And if you aren’t in range of any LoRaWAN gateways, you don’t have any tracking.

Are you actually trying to track your suitcase?

Such as lost luggage, yes. Think of Tile but much longer range. That’s what I’m shooting for.

If this device doesn’t fit what would?

Also, I understand it won’t transmit data until it hit a gateway.

That is wrong.

LoRaWAN nodes do not ‘know’ if a gateway is in reach. A node transmits (broadcasts) and hopes a gateway will receive the data. So it will transmit as scheduled.

Another thing to consider: for tracking luggage that travels internationally you would need to add ‘geofencing’ to make sure the device transmits at the right frequency. Using US frequencies in EU would be illegal (those are allocated to mobile carriers) and vice versa.
Then you need to make sure the device is inactive while on a plane as during take off and landing any electrical devices need to be shut down for safety reasons. And of course GPS won’t get a fix within buildings (without burning battery like crazy) so it will be hard to track anything anyway.

All in all you need to rethink and consider a different technology.

@Slashbrackets

One of the best but still affordable GPS devices I’ve ever had my hands on so far is the Dragino LGT-92.

It’s available in two versions:

1. Lithium-Ion Battery-powered + Case
  2. PCB-Version that can be powered by using AA Batteries (or any other)

The second version has all the features you need to turn this into an industrial LoRaWAN tracker that runs on batteries for month or even years (depending on the battery).

Here’s a good overview:

There is also the Browan Tabs TBOL which is also a very good device but more B2C oriented and when you want good design in a very small package and are OK with less battery run-time.

I don’t know about azure IoT, but this device is the smallest I have found that works out-of-the-box.

I had some DoA’s but the personnel was friendly and the replacements are working as expected.

As others stated. Not ideal for your requirement since GPS rarely work indoors and you don’t know if you have GW close to your device to transmit LoRa. More reliable is a GSM solution, but wants more battery e.t.c.

The question was “…the smallest device that provides gps data…” and there is nothing smaller than the Gnat Asset Tracker.

“Ultra-low-power, 20 mm x 20 mm asset tracker consisting of CMWX1ZZABZ-078 (SX1276 LoRa radio and STM32L082 host MCU), MAX M8Q concurrent GNSS module, BMA400 accelerometer for wake-on-motion/sleep-on-no-motion functionality.”

Sleep current as low as 2.5 uA and average tracking power as low as 250 uA at 2 hour GNSS fix and 10 minute LoRaWAN duty cycles. This is 200 days on a couple of AAA batteries. Of course, average power usage depends on frequency of GNSS fix.

The device is programmable using the Arduino IDE via USB and comes with a well commented sketch that is easy to customize for your particular applications.

The device is simply the smallest LoRaWAN-enabled GNSS tracker available. Perfect for animal, vehicle, and small item tracking.

3 Likes