Heltec CubeCell - part 1

During Wifi transmissions ESP8266 (ESP32 is probably similar) can have peaks of 200+ mA which will require use of a sufficiently large capacitor as buffer.

I have tested cube cell with TTIG indoor Gateway and join problems.
Can some report else such problems?
See:
@wasn do you have also such problems? Is it the indoor gateway or my node?
What can I throw away?

@MOS-FET i have several CubeCell devices running andu havenNo more problems than with other nodes.
Most times the problems is that the TTN servers are not sending the accept fast enough.

I can see those join accept problems only when using TTN, when i use our own chirpstack servers these problems dont accure.

@wasn Join not accepted by node
Could it that the library is waiting to short time for join a acceptance?

@MOS-FET Stop asking the same questions in different threads! Join not accepted by node

You were asked for information in the linked post and to do a test and observe the results but you did not and instead repeat your question here. Stop wasting othersā€™ time if you donā€™t want to follow provided suggestions and donā€™t want to provide requested details.

@bluejedi do you really think it same question? No it is not the same question! Here I asked only especially for the cubecell library and not gerally for join accaptance process. It just linked the post together

Unfortunately a lot of Heltecā€™s CubeCell ASR650x Arduino Core and how they have implemented the LoRaMac-node library is still unclear because not documented.

So there is no magic answer to your question. You will have to perform tests yourself and provide us with information yourself. If that is asked too much then donā€™t bother others with your questions.

If you start asking in this thread if join related problems can be caused by the library, it might be wise to first provide the information that you were asked for in above linked thread and continue there, because that is EXACTLY what this is about. So better provide useful information and donā€™t spread related questions over the forum (discussion closed).

Hi, there, sorry for the late response, you guys may know that because of the coronavirus problem, we just back to office this week, but our factory and some cooperation factories still not back to work normallyā€¦ many works have to delay :rofl:

Yes, @wasn is right, as far as our test, maybe because of the net work in China main land, we also canā€™t get downlink messages from TTN.

Can it because of the limit of downlink messages?

Join problem mostly because of the listening frequency not matching the sending frequency.

If you can paste your gatewayā€™s global_conf.json file, we can help you analysis the reason.

Is this document make sense to you?
https://heltec-automation-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/general/sub_band_usage.html

Iā€™m sure the sub-band working fine in our test.

Yep tried that with no effect, Bruceā€™s solution works, Iā€™ll just use that for now

@Paul_Stewart
Maybe this operation make sense to you:

I have a CubeCell dev board (HTCC-AB01) running a simple test.
It transmits a fixed 3-byte uplink message (without any further processing) and the RGB LED is enabled so the LED lights with each uplink message.

So far it has sent more than 72000 uplink messages on a single battery charge already.

A 1200mAh LiPo battery is used as power source (true capacity is probably more like 1000mAh).
The CubeCell board has sent 72000+ uplink messages already on a single battery charge (and running). Battery voltage is still 3.69V so maybe 100k messages on a single charge will be possible.
(For this test battery voltage is measured manually, and not measured automatically by the node).

Update:
I lost track of the exact uplink message count and later noticed the battery was empty.
Based on my last counter check (80+k) and some extrapolation:
A total of between 90k and 100k uplink messages have been sent on a single battery charge. :+1:

1 Like

Below information is from GitHub - HelTecAutomation/CubeCell-Arduino: Heltec CubeCell Series (based on ASR6501, ASR6502 chip) Arduino support.

The currently supported ASR650x chip product models are:

MCU Relative boards
ASR6501 CubeCell-Board, CubeCell-Module, CubeCell-Cupsule
ASR6502 Coming soon

Questions:

• What is the difference between ASR6501 and ASR6502?
  • What Heltec products will use the ASR6502?

Full PDF is there.

EByte sells ASR6501 (sample) modules as low as 2+ USD per one piece delivered (depending on frequency band).
Since ASR6501 has only 1 UART access available - this SiP has little or no use for my purpose.

1 Like

I noticed (but did not see such low price).
No generic Arduino support is available for ASR650x I guess. I have only seen Arduino support for the CubeCells.

If not Arduino, what SDK/toolchain would you use for ASR650x?

the new CubeCell products with the ASR6502 will be ready next week

have a look here:

http://community.heltec.cn/t/some-new-cubecell-products/1372

![72ed3f1dd0c012af1240dc9b691d93227ab4260a_2_334x500|334x500]
28fb6ae35e025f923cde0c6f9763cafe2ef62f8c_2_540x500
72ed3f1dd0c012af1240dc9b691d93227ab4260a_2_334x500

2 Likes

@bluejedi is right using the modules from EByte for example does not bring you the nice arduino integration.

you have to use the SDK from cypress for example

Is it possible to give an estimate for availability of PlatformIO support?

I noticed (but did not see such low price).

Ebyte has 2-3 stores on AE. At least one of them does typically make a ā€˜saleā€™ offer at any particular moment. This is one example

No generic Arduino support is available for ASR650x I guess. I have only seen Arduino support for the CubeCells.

Since ASR6501 is a S-i-P - most of stuff is hardwired inside the package. This makes such devices very compatible between different final product manufacturers.
Even firmware binaries are likely transferable in such cases, not only SDKs.
Example of such compatibility within single SiP (valid not for ASR but for similar AcSiP S76G package) is this one - firmware binaries from RAK7200 LoRaWAN GNSS assets tracker can run on TTGO T-Motion tracker (and likely vice versa).