Heltec CubeCell - part 2

CubeCell-GPS ( HTCC-AB02S ) is known to operate well with BASICMAC (successor of LMIC) port for Arduino:

Radio settings for the CubeCell are:

#include <board-config.h>

// CubeCell-GPS SX1262 pin mapping
lmic_pinmap lmic_pins = {
    .nss = RADIO_NSS,
    .tx = LMIC_CONTROLLED_BY_DIO2,
    .rx = LMIC_UNUSED_PIN,
    .rst = RADIO_RESET,
    .dio = {LMIC_UNUSED_PIN, RADIO_DIO_1, LMIC_UNUSED_PIN},
    .busy = RADIO_BUSY,
    .tcxo = LMIC_CONTROLLED_BY_DIO3,
};
2 Likes

How does this cope with CubeCell’s integrated LoRaWAN (LoRaMac-node) support?

Doesn’t this bite each other?

Thanks Willem. If needed I’ll ask you for the sketch :wink:

CubeCell’s proprietary LoRaWAN library gets (automatically) excluded at build time by GNU linker - because none of BASICMAC’s functions are referencing onto it.

So far I didn’t succeed combining the sketches LowPower_WakeUpByTimer.ino and LoRaWan.ino until I came across the February 8th posting of bluejedi (see attachment). It would be great if the sketch would automatically go into deep sleep like bluejedi described.

Unfortunately I cannot check if ithis is correct, can someone confirm that to me? Or do you, bluejedi, have more information about this?
TTN

Why are you not able to check that LoRaWan.ino enters deep sleep automatically?

Do you want someone to confirm that you cannot check? :wink:

More information is right below the post that you referenced:

There is not much more to add to that. I just used the example and measured current during operation.
It’s been quite a while since I experimented with CubeCell. The version of the CubeCell Arduino core and the example may have been updated since but I assume that it will still work like the version I tested. You can find the LoRaWan.ino example in the Arduino packages/CubeCell/hardware/CubeCell/<version>/libraries/LoRa/examples/LoRaWAN/LoRaWan folder.

Please don’t post screen copies of other posts but insert a link to the post instead. The URL to a post can be copied using the link icon below the post.

If you want to reference a user just put an ampersand in front of its name like @bluejedi (but not boldface it).

Thanks. You (and Heltec) saved me a lot of time :wink:

I want to get started with The Things Network and this board seems like the best budget option however, I’m not sure whether I should go for the CubeCell Dev-Board or CubeCell Dev-Board Plus, the Plus seems to feature the higher powered SX1262 chip so should offer better range?

What version is easiest to get set up and connected to the network?

HTCC-AB02 in addition has a display and more IO ports than HTCC-AB01 and is therefore more versatile.

Read the topic start. All current CubeCell boards have an embedded SX1262.

Should not make any difference.

Oh cool, I don’t know where I got the idea that the HTCC-AB01 was using the SX1261 it might have been an old aliexpress listing.

What is the recommended capacity for solar panel and battery to pair with the HTCC-AB01 and BME680?

I understand the battery should be a 3.7V SH1.25-2 LiPo and the solar panel must be 5.5V-7V, but I’m not sure about the exact capacity and wattage.

Probably need some more info.

How often are you taking a measurment and are you going to sleep between readings/sending data?

I don’t directly have answer for capacity but ‘SH’ connector is incorrect. See this post for more info:

Also take care to put a diode between the solar panel and the board:

I really don’t know maybe every 5 minutes and I would like a 1 day battery buffer?

What diode do I need or how do I calculate what diode I need?

Cheers

No, not at all. Towards/during winter/darker months the solar panel will ‘hardly’ generate energy at all (compared to its max capacity). A one day buffer is therefore insufficient and very subjective.

Without using any sensors I was able to send some 75000+ uplink messages (with 3 bytes payload) over a period of months from one single charge of a 1200 mAh Lipo battery with a HTCC-AB01 board (without solar panel). So that is quite some days of operation / quite some buffer.

You will have to check the datasheet for your sensor for its power consumption characteristics and incorporate how you will use it to calculate your power requirements.
And then select a battery capacity and a correspondingly dimensioned solar panel capacity that fit those requirements.

You can use any popular Schottky diode that can handle the maximum current of the solar panel (actually the max input current that the board uses for battery charging).

Solar + battery is not just simple to dimension. Proper dimensioning will have to be properly calculated taking multiple aspects into account, including the expected number of sun hours (which is something different than the numbers of day/sunlight).

It all depends on your requirements.

Ok so if I get a 1200 mAh 3.7V battery that would be 4.44 Wh and I would want to recharge that at least every 3 days so if I get a 1W solar panel and I say on average it generates 3W/day that should be sufficient?

Would I pair a 1W 5V panel with a SS14 diode as that seems to be the smallest Shottky diode available?

No things are not that simple and solar is not linear.
What about hardly getting much sunlight in a period of e.g. 2 weeks. Your battery will hardly be charged during that period.

Also be aware that you should not calculate with power in Watts here but calculate with current instead. For example, the voltage of the panel will be higher than the voltage of the battery, but it is the charge current that is essential here. You will lose an essential part of max panel capacity due to conversion losses (and there is almost sure/definitely no MPPT optimization built into the CubeCell board).

I suggest to learn a bit more about solar energy to get a better understanding of what to expect from solar panel energy and what not.

What is the maximum current of that solar panel?
(P (in Watt) = U (in Volt) x I (in Ampere)

What is the maximum (‘forward’) current of that diode?
(Lookup its datasheet)

Is max current of that diode larger than max current of that solar panel?
YES, so SS14 but also SS13 and SS12 will do (as many others).

Aside, IIRC it’s usually best to overdimension a Schottky diode as little as possible to minimize reverse leakage current. So a ‘smaller’ version (e.g. SS12) would even be better here.

You will have to do your own homework and not try to let others do your homework.

Yeah, I’m going to have to read up.

I have calculated that my daily power draw will be ~0.5Wh and with a 1200mAh battery that should last ~week. I have found that with a 750mA solar panel on my worst day I should generate enough power to fully charge the battery. I believe this should provide sufficient power security.

So if I understand correctly I need a ~750mA diode however the smallest I can find are 1A so if I use one of those should that be fine?

Only thing I’m still confused about is the reverse voltage of a diode to I need to get one which matches my solar panel or battery?