How do makers get EUI's and Auth keys in V3 for Nodes

LMIC user here - now that we can’t get node EUI’s and Auth Keys from V2, how should I properly get these EUI’s and Auth keys for new devices on V3? Thx.

V3 generates keys just fine.

EUIs can be obtained in several ways. If you care to search the forum you’ll find at least 3 of them.
And there will be another soon, V3 doing the generating for you is on the roadmap.

1 Like

Thanks, Actually I read those. Those varied approaches just seemed rather “random” if you’ll pardon the pun. I was curious about conforming to some sort of organizational policy that networks of this nature usually like to impose - Just trying to conform to any network policy.

I suppose the answer is: That policy is coming in the future in V3.

That would be an incorrect supposition. The policy has been around for a very long time using a standard from the IEEE.

TTI will be issuing official EUI’s from their purchased pool when they get capacity to implement it. This was not in TTS initially as it was considered that LoRaWAN had been around long enough for people to organise their own EUI’s, which is easily done for about 20p each.

There is also an official mechanism for creating internal addresses which is generally agreed by TTI senior engineers as being the next best alternative to having an official EUI. This is to be found on the forum by searching for the C source code and/or the web page I created from that code. These are regarded as being far more preferable than people making them up.

Some of the options are to buy commercially available EUIs in chips of 20 cents. Or buy your own block from IEEE. Nothing random in that in my opinion.

We already have CLI support for issuing a new DevEUI. It’s buried under End Device CLI Commands | The Things Stack for LoRaWAN. The flag is --request-dev-eui when creating a new end device.

Console support is coming up: Issue DevEUI from range with maximum per application · Issue #3750 · TheThingsNetwork/lorawan-stack · GitHub

1 Like