How to increase the physical area of a community?

Hi,

Firstly Merry Christmas to all, have a safe and happy holidays.

We are a small community based in Christchurch, New Zealand. https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/community/christchurch/

One of our members has a rural internet business in which he provides internet to farmers and other rural properties.

We have found that some of his gateways are not showing on the Christchurch Community page, even though they are visible on his profile.

Is there anyway to increase the physical area of a community so that it incorporates the region? Our internet member plans to put in gateways up to 250km outside of Christchurch and we would like these to be shown on the Christchurch Community page.

In case it is relevant, the next nearest TTN Community is in Dunedin which is 360km away.

Any assistance with this would be most appreciated.
Many thanks
Saul

1 Like

IIRC the default size of a community when initiated is 10km. The coverage area is a circle, though often other generic shapes might be more appropriate this isnt an option. The initiator of the community can typically go to the community dashboard page, hit the map tab and then adjust as needed - shrinking or increasing as appropriate, changing default zoom level etc… The centre of the community circle can also be re-centered to adjust the edge/balance of coverage for the community. Many seem to stay at default or shrink a little where overlapping with others, a range radius from 8-16km is typical and I have seen major cities or counties/regions expanded to many 10’s km (e.g. London - which seems to expand way outside the M25 London Orbital Motorway, capturing some of my own GW’s in the adjacent Windsor and Bourne End & Cookham (Chiltern Hills/South Bucks/Berks Area) communities, Zurich, and I saw e.g. Drenthe in The Netherlands at what looked like somewhere around 40-60km radius, as is Norfolk UK but then these are set up not for a town or city but for a region/county). My thinking woudl be that a radius of ~250km is excessive for a town/city based community - or perhaps 125km if you move the center betweenn the two major extreme locations. A better appropach would be to create a community for a region that covers the area of interest with an appropriate name that sets the right expectation. To put it in context it would be like the London community also covering parts of Greater Manchester, or Amsterdam community covering Lille in France. There are some Country high level communities that are not 250km radius! :wink:

Expanding Christchurch to cover a point location 250km away would also cover e.g. Nelson or Blenheim to the North of South Island, or Westport or Bruce Bay on the West coast or Moeraki to the south of you on the East Coast… some 2/3rd’s of South Island would be included - which doesnt seem to meet the definition of a local community! :slight_smile: Best would be creat additional NZ communities, and then try to encourage others in the new areas to get onboard with TTN :+1:

Whilst quite sparesly populated in places there are currently only 5 communities set up in NZ - I’m sure there is room for more…

1 Like

Thanks for the info Jeff, sounds like you may have visited NZ before?

I’ll let the member know that we may be limited to how big an area we will be able to tag as being under Christchurch and possibly look at getting new communities established.

Have a good Christmas.
Saul

1 Like

Hi Saul, I wish! Beautiful country and have old school friends who moved over decades ago…a visit is on my bucket list, but will it ever happen?! :wink:

Good luck with the community expansion… and Happy Christmas to you too

Thanks for your advice Jeff,
Merry Christmas to you and all on the things Community Networks…
NZ is a great country but its an odd shape and low population unlike most of the continental countries, a 250km radius from Christchurch covers about 1 million people at max, its a bit tough to compare our circumstances with France with a population of 67 million :slight_smile:
(you are however correct 250km may be too large for us, I think 100km would much better reflect our area)

Hi Jeff

Hope your holidays are going well, and sorry to bug you again.

I was the initiator of TTN Christchurch and was originally shown as the initiator, I then changed my username so that it was easier for people to link me to my user name. From there I have been shown as one of the two ‘core team’ members. So I’m not sure if I am able to make the changes required.

When I log in, I can edit the community page, invite contributors etc, but I don’t think I have the permissions that you mention to adjust the map.
Whatever changes I make to the map are not saved, (no save buttons available) and it reverts back to the default view as shown below.
The map shows roughly 75km from Christchurch East, 75km West and about 15km North and South.
Some of David’s (netyguy) recent gateways are approximately 82km East of Christchurch.

Do you have a screen shot of what editing options should be available on a community dashboard page?
If my permissions are restricted, do you know who I should contact to have them reinstated?
Or if my permissions are correct, any other suggestions?
Many thanks
Saul