I can´t see the Payload anymore

Hi, I’m new to TTN.

I created an end-node, and successfully transmitted some messages from my end-node to a TTN gateway.
Later, in the console, I could see the payload and all details of the transmission, such as gateway info and rssi data. Everything as expected.

However, after I tried to configure the tab “Payload Formatters” in the console, I noticed that the payload info simply disappeared.

Decoder code (I added it to uplink and downlink):

function Decoder(bytes, port) {
  var result = "";
  for (var i = 0; i < bytes.length; i++) {
    result += (String.fromCharCode(bytes[i]));
  }

return {text: result};
}

This is the screen I see after the problem started (I don´t have a printscreen before the problem sterted, but it was everything ok)

Finally, below is the JSON that I see (which had much less details than before):

{
  "name": "as.end_device.update",
  "time": "2023-09-24T11:15:17.086634462Z",
  "identifiers": [
    {
      "device_ids": {
        "device_id": "eui-70b3d57ed0061444",
        "application_ids": {
          "application_id": "my-2nd-app-baum"
        }
      }
    }
  ],
  "data": {
    "@type": "type.googleapis.com/google.protobuf.Value",
    "value": [
      "formatters.down_formatter",
      "formatters.down_formatter_parameter",
      "formatters.up_formatter",
      "formatters.up_formatter_parameter"
    ]
  },
  "correlation_ids": [
    "rpc:/ttn.lorawan.v3.AsEndDeviceRegistry/Set:1ebde719-3783-4112-8ece-3ff3e01a4ca5"
  ],
  "origin": "ip-10-100-4-117.eu-west-1.compute.internal",
  "context": {
    "tenant-id": "CgN0dG4="
  },
  "visibility": {
    "rights": [
      "RIGHT_APPLICATION_DEVICES_READ"
    ]
  },
  "authentication": {
    "type": "Bearer",
    "token_type": "AccessToken",
    "token_id": "5RXTODTC2FURARD2KF25QLWVBF6EYWKSKJJPRNA"
  },
  "remote_ip": "144.64.135.194",
  "user_agent": "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/116.0.0.0 Safari/537.36",
  "unique_id": "01HB3ED7EYWDDQP5GTYPM4R6MC"
}

Could anyone help me explaining what is happening?

You need to look at the uplink message. That contains the payload and (potentially) decoded result.

You know you are using the old decoder format? Please look at the default provided and update your code. You only need it for uplinks.

From your decoder it looks like you might be sending text. Please don’t as it is inefficient and uses too much airtime of which you are allowed just 30 seconds a day on TTN.

look at the type of message you select – what do you see if you select the forward uplink data message

I don´t know why, but after TTN received another message (after I inserted the Payload Formatter) from the node, I started to see payload again, correctly decoded.

So, problem solved! Thanks Kersing and Piet!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.