Idea/Suggestion: R-Pi Gateway featured with thermometer (and hygrometer)

I would like to measure the temperature (and humidity) inside the gateway enclosure. I have thought about DHT11 or DHT22 directly connected to the R-Pi pins (https://tutorials-raspberrypi.com/raspberry-pi-measure-humidity-temperature-dht11-dht22/). A workaround is to have a LoRaWAN node inside the enclosure to transmit these measurements but I see it overkill.

My intention is to monitor Gateway vital signs and so temperature/humidity would be one of them.

My wild guess:

• feature the code to support DHT11/22.
  • To pass on these values to the Gateway simulating they are sent from a sort of “virtual LoRaWAN node”

Any idea or thought about this?

Please search the forum for comparable ideas as this subject pops up every few months.

1. Don’t bother, you have a multitasking OS, use a second process to gather the information. You can even reuse existing code available on the internet that way.
  2. This requires extensive changes to the packet forwarder and the implementation of a fully LoRaWAN compliant node stack. As the gateway runs a tcp/ip stack anyway there are easier and better ways to transfer the data. MQTT comes to mind.

Thanks Jac! I will refine my search because I could not find any specific on this, my bad.

Or even a few days ago, and despite the gravity of the responses, ie the experience of the respondees as well as the prior discussions on here, it didn’t go well and ended up tying up three moderators time.

I’d be happy to talk about how I do it by simulating a WebHook submission to the exact same end point I use for the WebHook on the console. But not how to hack (subvert) both a LoRaWAN stack & a packet forwarder to try to stuff it through TTS.

Within Basics Station there is a feature to send messages using the “Event” function.

As an example, in the linked post below is a solar powered gateway where the associated parameters are sent from time to time. In this case a cron job creates this file and Basics Station picks it up and forwards its contents

echo '{"msgtype":"event", "type": "status", "battery": 52, "solar": 123, "temp": 4, "last_full": 4201}' > cmd.fifo

last_status_received_at not available for basic station · Issue #3802 · TheThingsNetwork/lorawan-stack (github.com)

4 Likes

Before Basics Station was available and while developing my gateway which is rated for outdoors in direct sun at 45C ambient I ran MQTT to a server to log and display some gateway data. I can confirm MQTT is a good solution.

gatewaydata

2 Likes

My kudos to you! :slight_smile:

That’s the lovely way to go!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.