Indoor Gateway Status Unknown when not receiving LoraWAN packets

Recently installed a new TTIG at my parents place, where there will generally be periods without any LoraWAN nodes transmitting data. After some time not receiving any LoraWAN packets the gateway status changes from Online to Unknown despite solid green LED, and responding to TCP/IP pings. Gateway will accept packets and return to Online status when a node comes within its coverage.

Is this intended behaviour? If it is, what is the longest reasonable interval I should set a node to transmit “keep alive” packets to the gateway to keep the online status?

Yes, expected behaviour. But two stupidly important points to note from forum posts you can search for the details on:

1. The v2 console gateway status is best efforts and should not be looked at - put a piece of duct-tape on that part of your monitor as it’s a continuous source of “my gateway is not working” posts.

2. The v2 console will go away very shortly.

Why not code your firmware to accept downlinks to change the send interval - then you can tune it to suit - I’d start at single battery packet once an hour.

2 Likes

Thanks! I just wanted to know if the gateway could be source of issues or if packets not getting to TTN is solely due to poor coverage, latter seems to be the case.

I stopped reading about v3 when I found all the posts saying “not yet”. Hope there is some news on the conference.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.