Issues with Things Uno OTAA Connection

Hi,

I am very new to all of this so please excuse me if I mess some things up.

I am having isues with a project I am attempting. I am using a Things Uno and having issues with it connecting to the things console.

My device is just showing up on the console in the mode where it is trying to active.(see bellow)
The weird thing is that the device has connected to a gateway a few times, but this gateway is about 10Km away and there are about 5 gates ways between it and my location that the node is not connecting too.

Screenshot%20(14)

I have also recently set up a new gateway which is sitting right next to the node and the node is not connecting to it either.

Are there some things which I am not doing correctly.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

• is your TTN uno (to) close to your gateway ?
  • did you add your node to that application
  • is there a problem with your node’s antenna
  • is your node still been seen by another (not yours) gateway
  • did you changed anything in your setup code like keys

Hi Borroz,

Thank you so much for responding.

In reply to the above:

• They are both in the same room so distance far or near shoudnt be an issue

• The node is set up in the application with the correct EUI’s etc…

• The antenna is working well

• The node is is being seen by other gateways, but I have only ever had success with one gateway which is about 10km away from my house. I now have a new gateway of my own but this is ‘not active’ for some reason and the node is not connecting to my gateway which is in the same room. See screen shots bellow

• Have not changed any code.

So my issue is that my node is not connecting to any gateways other that this UTS-Meshed gateway. I want my node to connect to my Gatway, which for some reason is not active. Any help problem solving this one would be awesome.

Screenshot of my gateway VVV
Screenshot%20(15) !

Screenshot of the node connecting VVV
Screenshot%20(18)

Screenshot of the information when the node connects to the UTS-Meshed gateway VVV
Screenshot%20(17)

It is. Too close is an issue for a node as the RF signal will be too strong and distorted.

You ‘gateway’ is Dragino LG01 which is a single channel ‘gateway’. Is your node transmitting on the frequency and spreading factor your gateway is set to? If not it will never receive the transmissions.

Nodes do not connect to gateways. LoRaWAN is not WiFi. A node broadcasts a transmission and any gateway within reach listening at the right frequency and spreading factors can receive the transmission (and will forward it to TTN back-end if the gateway is a TTN gateway).

As you are in Australia (according to you gateway frequency plan) you encounter the ‘what frequency plan should we use, AU915 or AS923’ dilemma. Check this discussion.

Regarding the gateway not being connected, check this and this.

1 Like

Hi Kersing,

Thank you so much for your info. That is very helpful.

From your comments it looks like my gateway only being a single channel gateway is one of the main issues.

I still find it weird that my node’s signal is only being picked up by a gateway which is further away than gateways which I know are closer and I know are using the same frequency plans. How does spreading factor effect this and is there a way to ‘sync’ a node to the same spreading factor as the closest gateway?

It seems like the issue of AU915 V AS923 is a massive problem within Australia and is limiting development. I am an Industrial Designer and in the process of developing products which would really benefit from this technology. It would great to get some clarity on this topic soon.

In regards to the multi channel gateways, could you please suggest a gateway that would be appropriate for this application, running on AU915 and with the ability for uplink and downlink.

Once again, thank you for your help!!

Cheers

So those are not single-channel test gateways? If they’re full gateways, then still their range might be shorter (from some direction) simply due to their position. Like: surrounding buildings, antenna height, and when they’re installed inside, maybe even behind insulating glass.

A proper node should perform frequency hopping: it should randomly use a different frequency for each uplink (at least in EU868). But it will only change its SF to improve its reach.

Single-channel test gateways often listen to a single frequency, on a single SF. Like Kersing wrote:

Some single-channel test gateways listen on multiple SFs for their single frequency, but then their reception range is decreased due to using CAD.

Full gateways are ready to receive on all frequencies and SFs of a given frequency plan.

Not automatically. You could implement sending confirmed uplinks and keep track of which frequency and SF works. But that feels like a huge waste of time to be able to use test gateways, especially as the number of gateways could change any time. Also, you’re limited to 10 confirmed uplinks per day.

For testing, if you know some gateway’s settings, see How to make RN2483 node use a fixed channel and spreading factor?

Thank you!

All great information.

I am very new to this technology and trying to understand all the ins and outs are very complex. I hope that this can become simplified in the future to allow this technology to expand.

I will continue with my products.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good multi channel gateway which I could set up for my testing purposes?

Cheers