Join request denied

Hi,

I am using a Sodaq explorer board and trying to connect it to nearby gateway. I am using sketch sendOTAA. On the serial monitor I get message repeatedly:
Sending: mac join otaa
Join not accepted: denied
Check your coverage, keys and backend status.

I have checked the keys again and they seem to be correct.
Is there something that I am missing before connecting to gateway?

Thanks!!

First of all, you connect to the network, not to a gateway. LoRaWAN is not WiFi…

Do you see you join requests in the TTN console in the application data? (You need to open that page before sending the join request as it only shows life data, no history)

No actually i dont see anything in the application data.
It is blank.

I had the same issue.

Try with ABP, that worked for me.

Doesn’t solve the problem, but it’s a workaround.

I have the same problem, the leonardo wasn’t even recognised by the ttn map… It’s like it doesn’t even exists . :confused: .

I am trying to do it without a gateway (I only have the leonardo with a microchip), is that a reason for that? when I watched the tutorials, gateway were rarely seen first.

I am new in the domain, and I didn’t even arrived to connect it for now.

That is simply not going to work.

It is a fundamental requirement that there be a TTN gateway in range of the node for it to be able to do anything. That could be either a proper 8 channel gateway you buy and setup, or one someone else is running as part of the community network.

Be careful not to buy anything that is a not an 8 (or more) channel gateway. Various unscrupulous vendors are selling things to experimenters which do not really work, and as they cost maybe 60% of what a real gateway does, they are a waste of a substantial amount of money.

… The bad joke is…

There is none of the ones from the community where I live XD. But thank you, I doubt it was because of it… Just hoped it wasn’t, because the tutorials didn’t seem to use it.

Oh. Neat. Do you have some references for that? (like a good buyer or a specific type of gateway in sell).

So basically, you are saying I need a node and an arduino, and I need a gateway, be it mine or another, is that it? Meh. Can the microchip be equivalent to the node, or is it entirely different? (or unnecessary)

Yes

Unclear, an Arduino could be somewhat like the processor part of a node, though a classic Arduino is not a very good choice. But it sounds like you already have this part.

Yes

Microchip is both a generic term for an integrated circuit and a company brand name. That company makes many things (they even bought the company that made the ATmega processors that show up on Arduino). They also make a sub-module that has a LoRa radio and an MCU together under a shield can, and runs a LoRaWAN stack that interacts with a host processor like an Arduino. I’m guessing that’s what you have, and it is a reasonable way to make a node. It cannot be any realistic sort of gateway.

(The Sodaq explorer appears to be a sort of unofficial super-Arduino-compatible with a SAMD21 processor and a Microchip RN2483 LoRaWAN module)

There are lots of threads here on gateway options.

Well, what I actually have is a Arduino Leonardo with a microchip lorawan. the same they use in the youtube tutorial, actually (i’m learning, so I didn’t want to be fucked up by the product itself)

because of that, they didn’t seem to be needing a node in the tuto, therefore I neglected it. That one:

https://connectedthings.store/gb/lorawan-development/the-things-uno-development-board.html

I thought I only needed that to connect it (I neglected the fateway because of that).

I will check the threads about gateway options.

However, as others seems to have the same problem… Could ABP work without a gateway, somehow?

Running a node without a gateway it like trying to run WiFi on a laptop without an access point. So no, without a gateway there is no LoRaWAN available. The good news is a gateway will work for anyone within radio range so there is no need to install one in every home like there is for access points.
However if there are no existing community gateways near you you will have to install one yourself. Place it high up and others people withing your community might profit from it as well.
Find some other interested people and you can start a community which might improve coverage of TTN in your region by placing not just one but a couple of gateways.

If you are looking for gateways, make sure to choose one for the right frequencies. Cheap assembled options are TTIG and LPS8. There are plenty of build it yourself options based on Raspberry PIs, but generally those will be more expensive.

Thank you very much. I will try to see if some friends are in for it o/.