Laird RG186 Factory Reset

I have a Laird RG186 and its been working but I need to do some troubleshooting and have forgotten the password (much to my annoyance). I have been looking around for how to do a factory reset and have followed the advice in the manual which does nothing.

I have tried pressing the user button for increments of 30 seconds, I have tried the same with the reset button held down. I have even read a 30/30/30 rule for Laird where its 30 seconds for the reset button in while power is on, then 30 seconds for power off and then 30 seconds with power on.

Has anyone out there got any clue on how to factory reset the thing?

!!! I think you should use google better !!!
See manual on page 29 a https://assets.lairdtech.com/home/brandworld/files/Sentrius%20RG1xx%20User%20Guide%20v2_2.pdf

To factory reset the gateway back to default settings, complete the following steps:
Hold the user button while power is applied OR hold the user button while you press the reset button
(Figure 39).
Figure 39: Performing a factory reset
1 ā€“ User Button
2 ā€“ Reset Button
Continue to hold the user button until all the LEDs on the top begin to flash.
Once the LEDs start flashing, release the user button.
The factory defaults are applied, the gateway reboots, and it is ready to use.

Lol not to be rude but you should read the post better. Thats what I didā€¦ To quote myself which I must admit seems a bit pretentious:

ā€œI have tried pressing the user button for increments of 30 seconds, I have tried the same with the reset button held down.ā€

How is that not is what is in the instructions?

But a power up with boot and hold the user button pressed till Hold the user button while power is applied, should be the way. Maybee longer then 30 seconds I donā€™t know.

Else go to the forum off support desk off https://www.lairdconnect.com/forum or faq or mail them self, they should help you with the right info.

I donā€™t know this gateway, but thatā€™s not at all how I would interpret @jwijngaardā€™s quote. Iā€™d say:

1. Remove power
  2. Press and hold the User button
  3. Restore power while still holding down the User button
  4. Keep holding down the User button until all LEDs begin to flash
  5. Release the User button

Or:

1. Press and hold the User button
  2. Press the Reset button while still holding down the User button
  3. Release the Reset button
  4. Keep holding down the User button until all LEDs begin to flash
  5. Release the User button

I donā€™t expect that to take more than a few seconds.

1 Like

Interesting, I would have taken the instructions to mean ā€˜have the power onā€™ when they say ā€œwhile power is appliedā€. It could be your interpretation however and I will give it a try. I must admit I was a little perplexed when it was suggested I should use google better with all the exclamations.

Applied could be that the power is on, but is more likely to be as you put it on - as in ā€œI applied a bandageā€ - I put it on ā€¦

Yep I think you are right, I will come back and let you know if it works. I imagine it will otherwise there would be a lot more people complaining. I think its just the way I read it.

Any Success on this even i am getting Same issue.

Have you tried the sequence shown above?

Is so, what happens?

This worked! Sorry it was still operational and I was trying to get a Feather M0 working which has some pretty bizarre issues with Com ports.

Hi pratapksp,

That did work as mentioned in my previous reply. Just so as you know I had some issues trying to set the thing back up again. It didnā€™t want to know when I tried the wireless setup instructions, so I went for the LAN route connected via the router. Using Chrome I wasnā€™t able to connect as it gave me warnings about certificates but would not let me proceed anyway. I used explorer and could get in.

Also had to select TTN Legacy as the forwarder to make it work.