LilyGO TTGO T-Motion - no serial output / no ttn packets

It does look a bit FrankenCode - the line that refers to the Expressif install is in a T-Beam section but there is the competing info above for STM32, most confusing.

I’ve tried the STM32duino with the I-NUCLEO-LRWAN1 and lost the will to live - the LRWAN release is rather old and I haven’t tried updating it. Maybe worth revisiting with the release of Arduino Core for STM32 2.1.0.

The patch turns off turning off interrupts which is something LMIC does when it starts up - which will break a whole variety of STM32 things like USART etc.

This board isn’t readily available in the UK but I will get one now as another thing to practise on whilst hedging my bets against the MCU shortage.

In case you weren’t aware, the USB is useless for serial debugging. You have to use PA9 and PA10 with FTDI interface. I’ve been successful getting the T-Motion to send packets to TTN with Arduino. I can provide a generic version if your interested.

I get this error any ieas ?
Arduino: 1.8.16 (Windows 10), Board: “Nucleo-64, Nucleo L073RZ, STM32CubeProgrammer (DFU), Enabled (no generic ‘Serial’), CDC (generic ‘Serial’ supersede U(S)ART), Low/Full Speed, Fast (-O1), None, Newlib Nano + Float Printf”

WARNING: library esp8266-oled-ssd1306-master claims to run on esp8266, esp32 architecture(s) and may be incompatible with your current board which runs on stm32 architecture(s).

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\arduino-lmic-master\src\hal\getpinmap_thisboard.cpp: In function ‘const Arduino_LMIC::HalPinmap_t* Arduino_LMIC::GetPinmap_ThisBoard()’:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\arduino-lmic-master\src\hal\getpinmap_thisboard.cpp:71:72: note: ‘#pragma message: Board not supported – use an explicit pinmap’

71 | #pragma message(“Board not supported – use an explicit pinmap”)

|                                                                        ^

Sketch uses 102656 bytes (52%) of program storage space. Maximum is 196608 bytes.

Global variables use 5768 bytes (28%) of dynamic memory, leaving 14712 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 20480 bytes.

An error occurred while uploading the sketch

-------------------------------------------------------------------

STM32CubeProgrammer v2.8.0                  

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Error: Target device not found

Establishing connection with the device failed

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File → Preferences.

Probably an open door, but have you tried to switch the Tx and Rx connections already?

You probably need to force the board into firmware upload mode first when using serial for uploading.

The ‘Blue Pill’ boards have special jumpers for this called BOOT0 and BOOT1. I see that the T-Motion at least has a pin labeled BOOT.
I’m not sure what type of interfaces the SiP (System in Package) on the T-Motion supports and whether it supports the SWD interface, otherwise you could simply use an ST-Link, J-Link or similar programmer.

TTGO T-Motion specifications from some arbitrary 3rd part site:

• SiP – AcSiP S76G system-in-package with STMicro STM32L073x Arm Cortex M0+ MCU with up to 192 KB of Flash memory and 20 KB of RAM, Semtech SX1276 supporting global 868 MHz or 915 MHz ISM-Bands, Sony CXD5603GF GNSS receiver.
  • Antenna
    • Internal GPS antenna
    • External LoRa antenna
  • Host interface – USB 2.0 male port
  • Misc – Boot button, 26MHz active crystal
  • Power Supply – 5V via USB port, around 18mA current draw
  • Temperature range – -45 to +80°C
  • Dimensions – 78.12 x 62.67 x 25.40mm
  • Weight – 30g

Rx tx ? I am just trying to send data to TTN

No you are not!
In your last post you ask for help because you have problems uploading the firmware to your T-Motion. I assume you did read the contents of the error message yourself?!

You are trying to upload firmware to the device which fails and IIRC (read posts above) you were advised to upload firmware over serial port (via separate USB to serial adapter) because upload over USB on T-Motion does not work.

Rx and Tx is the serial interface…

Maybe you should first get a LoRaWAN development board that is better supported and easier to work with and build up some experience with that first.

Ok sir will try to undertake what you are saying will try to make my best to make this to work .

Thanks

Yes please send me please what i have to buy to program the board and also the code that you use . Thanks

This and the pinmap warning and the previous posts, I’d recommend you start all over with a well supported board with well supported software - check out LMIC-node which has a list of tested boards and start all over, slowly.

i have used stm32 programmer software and my S76G device is connected succesfully in DFU(USB) mode. but when i program the hex file in it it give me an error.
17:31:56 : Download verified successfully
17:31:56 : RUNNING Program …
17:31:56 : Address: : 0x00000000
17:31:57 : Error: Start operation failed

do you know why its not working?

@PhantomSystems
Ah, I misread the ‘debugging’ for ‘uploading’.
So apparently uploading over onboard USB does work and the suggested serial port pins are (only) needed to connect a serial monitor. Is that correct?
(I don’t have a T-Motion, so unable to try.)

Just purchased this can you share any tutorials to help me understand how to connect it and program it

What is it?

Its an FTDI interface to connect the board so i can program it

I’m not aware that you can program such things - I thought they were a USB to serial convertor.

Well, if you have a genuine FTDI chip, these can actually be programmed! (not with code though).

But of course that is not what @ELPIDOFOROSANSTASIOU meant here. :wink:

@ELPIDOFOROSANSTASIOU did you notice my last post with question for @PhantomSystems?

The FTDI interface is for debug output only (Serial2). The S76G must be programmed using the ST-link interface as the MCU is an STM nucleo chip

And, @ELPIDOFOROSANSTASIOU, did you notice what @PhantomSystems said when he said that the USB was useless for serial debugging and told you the pins for a serial to USB interface?

No where did he say that it was for programming.

I’d put this module to one side for now and get hold of one that you aren’t going to have a fight with to get going. Then come back to this one when you’ve got one working.

Thanks. I completely overlooked the following: