LilyGO TTGO T-Motion - no serial output / no ttn packets

Maybe better try one board first a next time.

The T-Motion definely is not an Arduino friendly board because not standard supported with any Arduino BSP (board support package).

And the STM32duino LoRaWAN package is woefully out of date - 2017 or thereabouts …

@PhantomSystems @ELPIDOFOROSANSTASIOU

Are you aware of T-Motion USB_Driver_Doc.pdf ?

Will probably help to enable upload over USB and/or Serial over USB for serial monitor.

What package are you referring to? This library?: I-NUCLEO-LRWAN1

Arduino Core STM32 does not have a LoRaWAN package (integrated). You can use the MCCI LMIC library instead.

Yes

But but but … … it’s in the STM32duino section - how can that not be for the STM32duino / Arduino Core for STM32 board support???

Personally I’d go with a variant of the Tlera library or, as at present, the code-splat that is the official STM32 LRWAN1 Cube code base.

This was in response to

Good suggestion!
The S76G contains STM32L073 which is supported by @GrumpyOldPizza’s Arduino core. It has LoRaWAN support integrated based on Semtech’s LoRaMAC-node.
It has no BSP for the T-Motion so (some) standard Arduino pin definitions may/will be incorrect (use pin numbers instead).

The Arduino Core for STM32L0 based boards can be found here:

The Tlera library isn’t terribly up to date either but I know it works on the STM32 B-L072Z board aka the Murata module on TTS CE as I tried it recently.

Yeah, I know, ArduinoCore-stm32l0 needs to be updated to LoRaWAN 1.0.4 (aka LoRaMac-node 4.5.2), and all the work that had been done in ArduinoCore-stm32wb has to be backported …

Why not with with stm32duino … loaded question. In general to do LoRaWAN properly (not just a quick hack, quick proof of concept) you need a lot more internal structures than typical Arduino Cores supply. Doing strict timing without proper RTC code and multiple IPLs for ISRs I do find always lacking substantially. LMIC is nice, but you end up with a suboptimial solution, that is a tad convoluted. Just my 2 cents.

I have to admit that ArduinoCore-stm32l0 is kind of tied to TypeABZ from muRata. Turns out that this chip/module is simply the sweet spot. I might add Type1SJ support and perhaps S76G … Does anybody have by chance the full docs for the CXD5603GF GNSS chip used on latter one ?

Like this?: CXD5603GF_UsersManual_E_013

I’m in the throes of a STM32 LRWAN1 project on Murata so my head is firmly in the groove on this so happy to help, maybe, am I mad - the STM32 code base is spaghetti! When I looked at your BSP I figured that some serious midnight oil must have been burnt to get it all nicely packaged and totally not surprised that it’s been left - but it works as is right now.

Yeah, it works, so why fix it :wink: You got the idea there. To be honest somewhere along the line LoRaMac-node added some convoluted way to save state into EEPROM … and they seriously botched that one. 4.5.2 fixed most of that last minute, so there is now a good incentive to move to a new code base. But that’s perhaps more than just an afternoons work, as you probably figured out.

I was not aware of this doc. I simply use the external ST-Link programmer.
BTW - The AcSip S76G is now End-of-Life so good luck getting any support on it.
T-Motion STLink FTDI USB

Do you have a source for this? AcSIP S76G product page at least does not mention this.

Yeah, they know - I told Miguel Luis aka mluis that there is a difference between Corporate Headquarters and the bottom of the coal mine where we were at:

But still, would be good to get 4.5.2 going as it is an inflection point. I’ll have another look one rainy afternoon (most of them at this time of year).

https://techship.com/products/acsip-lorawan-gps-sip-module-s76g/

So after all this :slight_smile: i am donating all 4 boards if anyone wants them PM me , i dont think i will ever be able to make them work and to be honest i think that TTN tutorial should be somehow fixed because its really missleading compared to other other tutorials that all most all of them work with some basic knowledge. So if anyone wants the boards please text me .

Also if you can recommend me any other boards that are easy to program and include gps+lora+sensors around 25 -30 dollars please do

The GitHub repro you linked to is not a “TTN tutorial” It was created by a third party who happened to be using TTN. It’s not even a tutorial, more a set of notes on how they created a device and due to the complex nature of both the hardware & firmware, would require a reasonable amount of knowledge to make work.

LoRa+GPS at the $25-30 price point isn’t common. You may wish to look at the TTGO T-Beam which is where that code base came from and is supported by LMIC-node and many other projects that use the ESP32 as the main MCU. Make sure you get a v1.1 board. In the UK Amazon have them, so I’d expect the EU network of Amazon should be able to supply.

Starting over is what I recommended - it will give you the chance to buy something that works - so please please find something but before you buy, check in on here that it is suitable and only buy one or two until you are happy you have something working.

On many LoRa dev boards with GPS you will not find sensors, but these of course can be attached externally.

If this is a first device to build up experience with LoRaWAN then getting a device with good community support will be important.

To prevent disappointments and unpleasant surprises it will be useful to clearly define your current goals and corresponding requirements. This will also help others give you better suggestions for which boards are more suitable and which are not.
As for boards with onboard GPS, there are not that many LoRa dev boards with GPS to choose from.

Some possible requirements are:

• What development framework do you want to use? Do you want to use the Arduino framework (ease of use) or do you want to use some other specific framework you are already familiar with, or don’t care and just want the best hardware for your application (and take any possible related steep learning curves for granted)?

• If ease of use for development is important or not, e.g. do you prefer that it has USB that can be used for firmware uploading, serial monitoring/‘debugging’ and powering the device (e.g. for education/classroom training) so you only need a single cable.

• Do you want to be able to do hardware (supported) debugging via e.g. SWD or JTAG interface?

• Do you prefer to have onboard display?

• Do you prefer to have onboard (SMA) antenna connector instead of a (tiny IPEX/UFL) antenna cable connector so the antenna is mounted directly to the board?

• Do you prefer to have onboard GPS antenna?

• Is it important that the device can be battery operated over long(er) time?
    (Must it be low-power and battery-friendly?)

• Do you need/prefer onboard battery holder?
    (This will drastically limit the selection though.)

Be aware that there is no ‘one size fits all’ solution, no board can satisfy all requirments. It is therefore important to define your current requirements and which are the most important.

1 Like

Hello i will like to buy the closest board to RAK Trio i use that for all my project but now its not available to buy so i am looking something similar and lightweight with ipex connectors

Hey Marios, Before you give up on this, let’s talk offline and maybe we can get you up and running. Otherwise I also have some alternate suggestions for Lora+GPS.
Russ…