Looking for a high gain indoor antenna

My applications are all indoor and I need to reach a maximum number of floors from my gateway(s) to my nodes. Has anyone experienced a good “high gain indoor” antenna ???

1 Like

you can use a ‘high gain’ outdoor antenna also indoors

Most ‘high gain’ omni directional antennas are designed for outdoor use, and achive their ‘high gain’ by flattening the reception angle out in the horizontal direction to only a few degress above the horizon, which is just fine for outdoor use.

Clearly this would be usless if you want to receive signals that are then above (or below) the antenna.

For use inside a building you probably want an antenna that has gain out horizontal, so a reasonble floor area is covered, and also has gain upwards (and maybe downwards) to cover more floors.

So in practice you appear to want an antenna that has high gain in all directions, and that is just not possible.

A gain antenna that has a circular radiation pattern out of the long axis of the antenna is the quadrifilar helix, which is easy to build and has a gain of around 5dB. Very useful for communicating with satellites when they are overhead.

I built one for 434Mhz out of bits of wood dowel, ex BBQ stand wire and plastic plumbing pipe. Very effective it was too.

70cm%20QF%20Helix

1 Like

Thank you Gentlemen for your valuable help.