LoRa 2.4GHz

Hi guys, I’m new at LoRa and TTS.

I am doing a personal project and I want to focus it on LoRa networks.

Do you think it would be possible to use LoRa 2.4GHz considering that it is not very advanced today?

The project would be to monitor vital signs and/or seismic data, hence the need to have no limitations in time and amount of data sent (so the 2.4 technology would be needed).

I don’t know to what extent it would be feasible for a student to carry out such a project, taking into account that there is not much software developed and little bibliography on the subject.

Thanks to all the community, a pleasure to contact you.

Greetings.

What is your budget?
You will need to bring your own gw to ttn.

No regulation for duty-cycle in 2.4G is not a license to abuse/pollute the RF, although limited to research there may be little impact.

Why not setup your own 915/868 gateway and network server. There are frequency, low power and datarate options for increased throughput.

The shared resources of the TTN community has the fair use policy that transcends all regulations regardless of RF frequency choice. So sending a high volume of device data through TTN is not advised. You didn’t buy it, so don’t break it.

The sx1280 dev kit from semtech in P2P mode may be enough for your needs.

If your considering TTN, then do appreciate that the limits on how much data you can move about with current UHF systems are there because the backend that provides for configuration and moves data from Gateways to applications, needs to be paid for.

So even though 2.4Ghz LoRa does not have the legal duty cycle restrictions of UHF systems, a potential TTN setup would still need to have a fair access policy and limits on the data you can have for free.

So if you want to exploit the potential for a 2.4Ghz setup to move lots of data, then you would very likley need to setup your own private LoRaWAN system and backend comms.

Also consider that the distances possible with a 2.4Ghz LoRa setup will only be about 15% of whats possible with UHF systems.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Another question arises on the subject, can I link the 868 MHz to the 2.4 GHz band?

Thanks.

Can you explain what you mean by that ?

I mean to link a sensor and the LoRa radio that works at 868 MHz with the 2.4GHz gateway.

So the device transmits at 868,000,000 cycles per second - the frequency - and is heard by something listening for signals at 2,400,000,000 cycles per second?

Harmonics aside, that’s not how radio works.

Like running your microwave off a USB power bank - a substantial mismatch in the basic physics, in this case, the voltage.

No.

For a node to send a message to another node, or Gateway, the modules need to be in the same frequency band.

Plus the LoRa a UHF module uses is not compatible with the LoRa a 2.4Ghz module uses.