LoRa Basics MAC on Arduino 33 Nano

Is it possible to use the new-ish LoRa Basics MAC (https://github.com/lorabasics/basicmac) on Arduino boards? I had the impression that there was, but I see nothing in the docs or the repo.
Alternatively, is there any ongoing effort to port it to Arduino?

Cheers

IIRC the memory footprint of it is too large.

And how about the new Arduino 33 Nanos? In particular, I’m looking at the Arduino 33 Nano BLE Sense that has an nRF52480, 1MB Flash and 256KB of RAM. It would be a perfect “Getting started” node with all those sensors.

1 Like

> And how about the new Arduino 33 Nanos?

An interesting possibility I guess, do you know what the deep sleep curent of those new ‘Arduino’ modules is ?

Apparently, 4.5uA running Blink, according to Arduino’s blog.

Mbed also supports tickless mode; in this way, every time you write delay() in your code, the board will try to go in low power modes, knowing exactly when to wake up for the next scheduled event (or any external interrupt). We are able to achieve an impressive 4.5uA of lower consumption while running a plain old Blink on the Nano 33 BLE (a minimal hardware modification is needed to obtain this value but another blog post is coming).

The “minimal hardware mod” they mention hasn’t been documented, as far as I know.

Should work easily. We just need someone to spend time on porting it to this target.

You probably have to remove an LED.

Interesting.

So a board specifically designed for IOT applications needs a hardware modification to work at a low sleep current …

:smiley: In all fairness, IOT does not have to be low power, even in LoRaWAN, Class C profile is actually recommended for mains powered devices.

I glanced at the code a bit, and it looks like they actually use LMIC, but before the port to Arduino…(?)

Assuming this is the core I can see a complete MBED system in there including the LoRaMacNode integration.

No idea if this is actually included in the build. If it is, this is a better option than LMIC based stuff.

Holy!!! Yes, I am pretty sure that’s the core with mbed, but I didn’t notice it included LoRaMacNode in there. I’ll try to see if I can make it work. Thanks!