LoRa Join Failed hence suspended the task

Hello,
I am trying to use a XDK Bosch sensor with a LoRa-extension but I am struggling.

There is a LoRaThingsNetworkDemo tutorial but it doesn’t work for me now:

At step C.4, I didn’t have any App EUI so I filled it with 0s.
At step C.6, I can’t see data from my sensors as I am supposed to, but I see:

eui-[id] Accept join-request
eui-[id] Forward join-accept message

And in my XDK Workbench device console, I get:

INFO | Creating Firmware Over the Air (FOTA) Container
 INFO | Binary File: C:\Users\a827879\XDK-Workspace\LoRaThingsNetworkDemo\debug\LoRaThingsNetworkDemo.bin
 INFO | Header Version: 0100
 INFO | Product Class: 0010
 INFO | Product Variant: 0000
 INFO | Firmware Version: 00000000
 INFO | Set device 'XDK Device 1' into bootloader mode
 INFO | Port 'COM4' has been disconnected
 INFO | Connecting to XDK device 'XDK Device 1' in port 'COM4'...
 INFO | Connection to port 'COM4' established
 INFO | Flashing file 'C:/Users/a827879/XDK-Workspace/LoRaThingsNetworkDemo/debug/LoRaThingsNetworkDemo.bin'...
 INFO | XDK DEVICE 1: Ready
 INFO | XDK DEVICE 1: C
 INFO | XDK DEVICE 1: XMODEM Download Success
 INFO | XDK DEVICE 1: c
 INFO | XDK DEVICE 1:  CRC of application area
 INFO | XDK DEVICE 1:  CRC000015A5
 INFO | Application checksum '15a5' successfully verified.
 INFO | Transmission successfully completed!
 INFO | Booting application...
 INFO | XDK DEVICE 1: b
 INFO | XDK DEVICE 1:  Jumping to application
 INFO | Port 'COM4' has been disconnected
 INFO | Connecting to XDK device 'XDK Device 1' in port 'COM4'...
 INFO | Connection to port 'COM4' established
 INFO | XDK DEVICE 1: [XDK][LORA] Hardware DevEUI: [id] configure the same in the application server
 INFO | XDK DEVICE 1: AppControllerFire : LoRa Join Failed hence suspended the task...
 INFO | XDK DEVICE 1: [XDK][LORA] Hardware DevEUI: [id] configure the same in the application server

So I don’t know what to do.
I had troubles configuring my end device because I don’t know much about it.
I chose the recommended Europe frequency plan and the LoRaWAN Spec 1.0.0.

Anyone knows what is wrong?

I reinitialized the project and typed eui keys again and for some reason it is working now.

does not work anymore, same problem

Now I don’t even see the join-accept message in TTN.

If there is a Join-Accept coming from the gateway, the usual reason for a device not to hear it is that it is too close to the gateway and the signal is too powerful for the device & it is not hearing it properly. We recommend 5m and a brick wall apart.

It’s most likely stopped even doing Join-Accepts because you are cycling back through the DevNonces from the beginning - so you should reset the MAC - there is a button on the console to do that - it will clear the information at the Network Server end so you can start again.

1 Like

Ok thanks, now I don’t have messages anymore when I flash the demo (just “LoRa Join Failed hence suspended the task” in the xdk workbench console). I cleared everything and even deleted and created again the application but still doesn’t work.

How can I put my device 5m away from my computer since it’s connected to it? Am I missing something ?

5m away from the gateway……

……what gateway are you using?

1 Like

Isn’t the LoRa extension the gateway?
(I am a beginner)

If so, the LoRa antenna is directly connected to the XDK device.

Difficult to tell from the info you linked to and the bosch links do not appear to work or throw up security advisories…I note that the info is very old (2018, despite the pdf 2019 ref) dating back to old TTN V2. From the picture I assume the XDK is the sensor module under eval and the LoRa extenstion is an add on - based on MIcrochip RN2483?) that then grafts a LoRa radio onto the XDK, with correct software no doubt this can then enable the fulll set up to act as a LoRaWAN node, with the RN Module providing the LoRaWAN stack… but I see nothing about a Gateway at this point… if you found it briefly connected once then maybe you were just in range of a public community gateway, but conditions changesa and cant now be reached… have you looked that the local community or TTN map to see where you are relative to any community GW’s if you dont have your own? If in range then Nick’s advice wrt connection setting may well apply…

…also wrt LoRaWAN 1.0.0 this can possibly be made to work (I have some early kit that limps along!) but recommendadtion is that for TTN V3 you really need to be looking at 1.02 or later, due to NS expectations and MAC handling… look for updated firmware

Note also the document you linked to only talked about setting up your TTN application and the device - no info on GW set up, so unless youhave alternate you may struggle…

2 Likes

Do you have a LoRaWAN gateway?

1 Like

Thank you very much! It is more clear in my mind now.

I don’t have a LoRaWAN gateway indeed.

For speed and cost I would suggest just grab a TTIG or a LPS8 or equivalent… there are several GW’s available in the $70-150 range if you look around… :slight_smile: Just make sure you get a LoRaWAN GW, not a reduced function LoRa only GW/PF with <8 channels…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.