LoRa massive deploy for Smart Metering applications

Hi everyone.

I need to show to a costumer that LoRaWAN is technically feasible for huge number of devices in a Smart Metering application.

Would be a great help find some information about real applications in world.

Do you know some use case in a real world? Whether someone could send some information, I really appreciate it.

https://www.semtech.com/lora/lora-applications/smart-metering

https://www.semtech.com/company/press/semtechs-lora-technology-increases-energy-efficiency-in-india

A classic example of scale out is Senet in the US…they started as a domestic & commercial heating oil supplier in New England/N.East US area if I recall, started scale out deployment of LoRaWAN infrastructure and oil level sensing devices at customer premises (effectively smart metering!) to help optimise their deliver schedules and billing arrangements, grew so big and so successful that they decides to sell off the oil supply side of biz, rename and focus on being a LoRaWAN infrastructure vendor/network operator! :slight_smile:

Beyond that can you constrain your request - metering what? Water? Gas?, Heat? Electricity? AMR or full Smart Meter applications? Remote switching (tariff switching or Kill-Swicth/customer cut off & isolation) reading/switching update rate (domestic monthly/weekly/daily? - more like AMR) or x times a day - e.g industrial metering often based on 1/2 hr billing etc. LoRa/LoRaWAN well suited to Water and Gas as low power battery and no available mains supply (Example I recall here would be Veoila Water - France/UK etc. with their HomeRider System - recently merged with M2OCity) - indeed want to avoid close proximity with meter resource and electricty! :slight_smile: What integration to other systems? M-BUS/WMBus? DLMS support? Direct or submetering?

Many vendors of LoRa/LORaWAN meter and submeters or add ons to put LoRa/LORaWAN on legacy (pulse or optical output) meters…GIYF :wink:

Same for use cases…GIYF - lots of published examples

Update - I see @Borroz pointed you to one as I was typing … :slight_smile:

Also check out appl briefs half way down this page https://www.semtech.com/lora/lora-applications/smart-metering

Thank you.

My application use DLMS.

I already have 1000 devices working in Brazil, my question and doubt is about massive deployment.

’ I need to show to a costumer that LoRaWAN is technically feasible for huge number of devices in a Smart Metering application.’

I suggest you contact Semtech direct.

As @Borroz suggests you probably need to work with Semtech directly to get more as you are scaling out & in addition I would strongly recommend that you sign up with & link into the LoRa-Alliance DLMS Working Group - even if just as an observer at this stage. (https://lora-alliance.org/ ). I know of several meter manufacturers in the LoRa ecosystem looking at and deploying DLMS & related solutions and though I have met a few previously its been a while since I had direct knowledge so that would be your best channel.

There are many meter deployments across the various metered resources running to several orders of magnitude larger numbers already, unfortunately details of most are under NDA or at least I am unable to validate if now off NDA, without having to go dig info, so again I would recommend you go look for PR around deployments at scale - GIYF. Good luck, and yes LoRa/LoRaWAN works well at scale esp if partnered with other technologies to provide local customer info (e.g. through a HAN) with LoRa providing the long range infrastructure/data capture. (see chart from ABI Research)

Interestingly once a LoRaWAN network is deployed for the actual AMR activity there is a side benefit which can be even more valuable in that the LoRaWAN infrastructure can then also be leveraged for distribution network health monitoring, alarming and predictive maintenance, asset tracking and lone worker/team tracking & protection further enhancing the biz case! :wink:

Good luck & please return here occasionally to update us on your progress & experiences…a Lab Story? :slight_smile:

2 Likes