Lora to Lora to Wifi

Hello,

I am currently trying to figure out if Lora is the best way for my purpose. I want to connect a device in an underground park which should create a wifi network down here. Because I want to avoid difficult cable management I wanted to use a Lora receiver. My Idea: Lora Gateway Outside of the building, Lora Receiver in the underground park. The receiver in the underground park should be able to create a Wi-Fi network through which the sensors (which use Wi-Fi) can access the internet.
Is this configuration possible?

Greetings Tobias

The configuration is technical possible but will only be legally allowed to work for a few seconds before you will have burnt through your airtime. It will also be impossibly slow - Sensor - tx over WiFi - LoRa node - tx over LoRaWAN - Gateway - tx over Ethernet/WifFi/Cellular - Network Server - Application Server - your custom packet assembler - the internet - and then a response back down the chain that can only be received when the LoRa node next transmits. So the sensors would need to be using UDP because you can only have 10 downlinks a day.

Others have debated here about trying to move TCP or just IP packets over LoRa and have concluded this is not feasible so you may want to search the forum for those discussions to get the detail.

If you can retrofit a LoRa radio to the sensors, then you’d be sorted. If you tell us what those sensors are, then we may be able to point you towards a LoRa enabled one or comment on the feasibility of the modification.

1 Like

It would be a Wallbox. So retrofitting it with Lora would be difficult

And a Wallbox is what?

Sorry an Wallbox for an electric car to charge. Sending and receiving controll information

I guess the manufacturer will probably feel uncomfortable with a home-made-mod but the use case is somewhat of a no-brainer for them to swap their WiFi module to LoRa, assuming their protocol isn’t too chatty and they have any commercial outlook.

But still bear in mind air time and TTN downlink fair use of 10 a day.

10 downlinks a day wouldn’t be enough. I guess I have to look for something else then. What if I wouldn’t use the TTN ?

It almost certainly is far too chatty

I think vehicle manufacturers tend to be more likely to negotiate fleet wide deals for low volume data through mobile phone networks. And really, that makes more sense - they’ve got the battery to do it, they sometimes need to move a lot of data, and they want to leverage the most built out connectivity, which in most areas is the phone network.

I’m working on a system where LoRa Module 1 forwards packets. In this setup, when a user is connected to Module 2 (linked to an ESP32 board and acting as an access point), and they enter a URL like “google.com” on their smartphone, I aim to have the request travel from the user’s device to the ESP32, then to LoRa Module 2, reaching LoRa Module 1. Module 1 is connected to a Raspberry Pi, which, in turn, is connected to the internet. The Raspi should forward the request to the internet, retrieve the response, and send it back to its connected LoRa Module 1. Finally, Module 1 should forward the response back to Module 2, which can then be accessed by the user on their smartphone. The primary goal is to enable users to view basic text-based HTML websites through this LoRa network.

~ email address redacted ~

Not a LoRaWAN suited application!

Firstly what you are proposing is a LoRa P2P implementation in the signal/comms path and therefore outside of scope of either LoRaWAN, TTN or this Forum. Also generally speaking the technology is designed for low throughput traffic - a few bit/bytes per hour or per day or per week… not (even basic text based) websites. LoRa isnt designed for high bit rates, and in many parts of the world not only is the throughput limited by the technology (think <300-3kb/s), it is also constrained by RF duty cycle regulations etc. (as in legal = fines/jail time!). LoRa devices support legacy modulations such as fsk but again even a 10, 20, 50kb/s fsk burst is constrained by the same regs…its is not like a 14, 28, 56Kbps modems of the 1980’s/90’s which could deliver constantly (and remember - if old enough! - how slow those bulletin board or web pages updated under those conditions! :wink: )

Sounds like you need to read up and reasearch what LoRa/LoRaWAN is all about (see LEARN section on TTN, look at the TTN/TTI YT channel, read the L-A specs, regs, etc.)

A very commendable idea but not for LoRaWAN so not for discussion on this LoRaWAN only forum.

However these thoughts do spring to mind, shame not to share them:

You may be aware of the WikiReader project: WikiReader - Wikipedia and there is also Teletext - Wikipedia

And if you proceed with a design, sending just the data and not all the formatting should make using LoRa for the range may be feasible - particularly if Module 2 is solar powered which means it can be continuously receiving updates to cache info later.

You could also ask the European Space Agency what they did with the spare bandwidth that they put out for community use - my proposal to provide essential info & community messages on a regional basis wasn’t taken up - but would have solved this sort of problem a long time ago.

Good luck!

thank you i was trying my best can you help me with the following points given below

Handling specific LoRa settings for packet forwarding.i dont getting how to forward packets via raspberry pi to lora module
Implementing the communication flow from the user device to the Raspi and vice versa

Probably, but not here, this is a LoRaWAN only forum.

This TTN forum is for TTN topics only.

Google gets everywhere and if the forum started answerinng non-TTN questions then anyone searching Google for LoRa based stuff would be directed to this forum.