Lorank8 forwarder won't start after reboot

Good afternoon all,

I can manually start the packet forwarder from a freshly installed Lorank8 GW ( cd /lorank8v1/ followed by: ./start or ./lora_pkt_fwd)
The GW is then active and packets are forwarded.
After a reboot, the packet forwarder will not start.
After checking the service list, I see that the lorank.service is enabled.

In the log file below I see: “Failed with result 'exit-code”

root@lorank8:~# tail -n 200 /var/log/syslog
Sep 25 14:01:26 lorank8 systemd[995]: lorank.service: Failed at step CHROOT spawning /root/lorank8v1/start: No such file or directory
Sep 25 14:01:26 lorank8 systemd[1]: lorank.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=210/CHROOT
Sep 25 14:01:26 lorank8 systemd[1]: lorank.service: Unit entered failed state.
Sep 25 14:01:26 lorank8 systemd[1]: lorank.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Sep 25 14:01:31 lorank8 systemd[1]: lorank.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
Sep 25 14:01:31 lorank8 systemd[1]: Stopped Lorank activation.
Sep 25 14:01:31 lorank8 systemd[1]: Started Lorank activation.
Sep 25 14:01:31 lorank8 systemd[998]: lorank.service: Failed at step CHROOT spawning /root/lorank8v1/start: No such file or directory

How can I make the packetforwader start after a reboot?

Add a ‘start’ to any start up script or possibly trigger a cron job say 2 mins after boot up?

In reality you need to dig into why the existing process is failing and fix at source ('scuse the pun!)…

I suspect doesnt match with

is your ./start located in a direcor /start or it at higher level /lorabk8v1 directory level?

No such file or directory? I don’t understand, there is a executable start in the lorank8v1 directory

This is the lorank.service script:

root@lorank8:/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants# cat lorank.service
[Unit]
Description=Lorank activation

[Service]
WorkingDirectory=/root/lorank8v1/
ExecStart=/root/lorank8v1/start
SyslogIdentifier=lorank8v1
Restart=on-failure
RestartSec=5

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

An executeable is not a directory! Your path

I believe is taking you to a directory… which per error message doesnt exist and/or contains no start executable. Try editing/trunkating the path.

Limited in what I can say as I dont have a LoRank 8 to look at directly, spoke with Bart at iDeetron years ago when I visited his offices in the early days of LoRaWAN & TTN etc.but never got a unit for eval or support, : maybe I should ask him to send one… dont think we have seen him on the Forum for >4years, but maybe we try and ping him to help debug… @Ideetron ?

Another possibility Jac @kersing do I recall you having an early LoRank?

This implies it’s all in a directory called lorank8v1 from the top of the directory tree, whereas, this:

is trying to run it from root’s home directory, ie /root/lorank8v1

As you can run the former and the latter fails, I’d remove the references to /root from the service file and restart the service.

To keep @Jeff-UK on his toes, it is perfectly normal to have an executable without a file extension but it does look like a directory path.

Thank you Nick, that’s exactly what I was doing while you start typing :grinning
now waiting for the reboot

Yep, however mine is running BalenaOS and MP forwarder. I haven’t looked at the original software for years.

…and it’s OK now,

So yes, I modified the lorank.service script, because /root/lorank8v1 does not exist.

root@lorank8:/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants# cat lorank.service
[Unit]
Description=Lorank activation

[Service]
WorkingDirectory=/lorank8v1/
ExecStart=/lorank8v1/start
SyslogIdentifier=lorank8v1
Restart=on-failure
RestartSec=5

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
root@lorank8:/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants#

Thanks everyone for the responses :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.