LoRawan relay feature

Hi all,
How to implement this relay feature?

1 Like

Wait three to five years, it should be ready for mainstream use by then.

Or be the first!

1 Like

Have TTI given any indication that they are planning to introduce the relay feature ?

1 Like

i think …, not introduce yet. that feature is great for Lorawan.

Also see https://www.dryad.net/ , they have implemented something like that.

If I read what Dryad is doing, looks like they are using it already.

1 Like

Great ?

Not so sure myself.

Whilst a permanently listening LoRa device acting a relay can in effect double range, the relay feature described uses CAD to detect on air activity and when I tested this there was a drop off in effective sensitivity, i.e CAD did not detect the weakest signals that could have been received.

And if you need to put in a lot of these ‘relays’ to reach distant nodes, then maybe a better placed Gateway is what is needed.

Time will tell.

1 Like

Yes, they are reporting using a (patent pending) mesh setup, although there are public domain mesh setups already.

But forest fire detection, does not in the vast majority of circumstances, generate much traffic at all. Maybe a once a day I am alive message …

A mesh setup in a typical TTN scenario could generate huge amounts of traffic, so could well struggle to stay legal. Perhaps this is why the direct relay approach is being suggested, rather than a mesh solution.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Finding ETSI compliance documentation

Hey. Is there a LoraWan specification available regarding the relay feature?
I saw that the Lora 1.0.5 specification already incorporated these features, but I can’t find it anywhere.
I only find the TS011 file which contains some information but does not explain how to implement a relay, how to use fport and how the network server handles it.

Where did you find the 1.0.5 specification? Has it been released or is it still being created/reviewed?

I found it in a presentation in January of this year about relay, and it said that specification 1.0.5 was in progress, where port 226 is specific for data retransmission.

1 Like