Lorawan repeater

Hi,
I’m looking for a solution for this problem:
It is possible to repeat the signal between node and gateway when no direct connection is available? Where I can place a similar “repeater” I have electrical power available, but not internet connection.
Thanks
Massimo

2 Likes

I guess this would be feasible for uplink messages having a gateway (lora concentrator) sending all messages it receive using a transmitter, but for downlink messages, it would be more problematic to ensure all receive windows are properly handled, as a slight delay would be induced by repeating the message.

No … not for LoRaWAN.

maybe its possible for lora direct communication
http://www.invisible-systems.com/product/ultra-rf-repeater/

That’s precisely what this repeater was designed for - LoRa (not LoRaWAN) range extension for 1 or more end nodes at remotes sites/campuses, wide area Agri-biz or in ‘dark’ hard to reach spaced (e.g. deep basements etc.). Standard builds support SF 9 or SF11 if I recall, I believe other SF’s could be supported as a custom order. LoRaWAN Gateways and, if passed on transparently by the GW, some NS will see the LoRa packets coming in and if you have access to develop s/w then a LoRa packet handler can be used to intercept and process the ‘LoRa only’ messages as and when needed. I would need to check if repeater behaves transparently or if it expects (from source node) and passes on Ultra-RF formatted protocol.

@massimo-mantoni what functionality are you looking for for the end node(s)

1 Like

A LoRa simple packet relay is a very easy bit of code. However, what the code does not do is detect a relay loop.

I use it to significantly increase the range of my trackers, code and links to articles on how its used and how to build a relay are here;

I have successfully implemented a repeater system for LoRa (not LoRaWAN). The system will only repeat LoRa packets tagged as belonging to my application, implements loop avoidance and limits the maximum number of transit hops. It functions between layer 2 and 3 of the OSI model (i.e. a cross between a bridge and a router). The repeaters and the receiving gateway(s) also implement data redundancy elimination by identifying the same payload being received from multiple repeaters and dropping the duplicates.

3 Likes

Could you please share your code with me?
I really appreciate it~~

Could you please share your code with me?
I really appreciate it~~

Sorry. The software was developed for a commercial product. I was just pointing out how the problem can be addressed.

Ok, thanks for your reply.

Hello everyone,
I am using lopy as a repeater and Arduino as a device. So Arduino sends data to server, I am using TTN gateway. I am okay with the uplink part. Now I am trying to send downlink to Arduino, but I need my repeater to listen the downlink, I don’t know how to do that. Because the uplink and downlink are done with the same frequency in TTN. So when I give the frequency in lopy, it gets only data from device rather than receiving downlink from server.
So could anyone help me here to do in first step ?
What are the parameters I can add in my program ?
And what program should I use in my lopy repeater ?

Thank you so much in Advance.

I am very sorry to start the topic here.I cannot able to start a new topic,because it shows some error to me as “you are not permitted to view the requested resource”. So sorry once again.

I think I don’t understand you.
What do you mean by 'repeater ’ ?

Yeah,it’s because Arduino will be in out of range with the gateway. So I try to send data to lopy(repeater), and it sends to gateway. Same as in downlink part, server sends to lopy(repeater) and lopy sends to Arduino.
I hope you understand me clearly now. If not, please ask me I will try to explain briefly.

No… please explain briefly

are you talking lora or lorawan ?
a lorawan repeater doesn’t work

oh sure thank you. Can I send you private message ? It will be more comfortable to me than this.

I see you did … but I can’t help you

Okay anyway thankyou so much.

if you don’t have enough range it easier to add another gateway

Oh yeah, but as for my project it’s hard to use like that. I need something like this.