LoRaWAN stack for nRF5x and SX1276

Just wondering have you tried the Multitech xDot? Seems to meet all your criteria.

https://developer.mbed.org/platforms/MTS-xDot-L151CC/

STM32L151CB-A

The 152 is supported in mbed, 151 is Almost the same. So, Technically it is possible, but someone has to do it.
Another option is using I-CUBE-LRWAN. They use the semtech/stackforce LoRaWAN stack.
http://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/i-cube-lrwan.html

Technically yes, but the price is over US$50.

1 Like

I donā€™t see open source access for the LoRaWAN stack on the mDot. Donā€™t know if People are interested in this, but having Control allowed us to build a Class C device that can switch to Class A when needed.

Itā€™s actually just $16.30

http://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=64707

and last quote I got from the local distributor
5 x MTXDOT-EU1-A00-1 868 MHz LoRa Module UFL/TRC Ā£ 17.50ea

Letā€™s keep this thread nrf5x-specific and move other platforms suggestion to separate thread. Moderator may suggest existing thread if any.

I was trying to understand the motivation for using mbed instead of Nordicā€™s much more up-to-date GCC toolchain, especially when itā€™s looking like the components would be quite tied to the nrf51 platform.

Good point. Well, imho mbed is C++ platform, has nice BLE API. For moderate complexity applications greatly simplifies code. Having compared simple BLE app, access to peripheral interfaces (SPI, I2C, GPIO) is greatly simplified when you compared similar C code from SDK.

Now, this is a very interesting initiative! We have many in-house boards with NRF51/52 conencted to RFM95 - @petekmet if you are interested we can supply a board to you if you can use the puse Nordic SDK and not the mBED UI for this development (maco@blava.net) - do you already have any code avail?

Would it be possible to use LoRaMac? Or do you need lighter weight than that?

Did you look at the Adafruit Lora Feather? Nice and small, full LoraWAN stack available, has reasonably low sleep current but you can tweek the hardware a bit to get even lower.
I have both the M0 and the 32U4 versions working with the Dutch Lora network, and I quite like this platform for simple applications.

1 Like

Interesting, I have ordered a 32U4 and will give it a try

But from what I understood the feather does not ha a native LoraWAN stack so you will have to implement it in software

What software did you use, original LMIC 1.5 or version from matthijskooijman?

Regards,
Mikael

1 Like

I think we used the Matthijs Kooijman version with a slight modification: a few seconds delay in the startup routine because there was an initialisation problem on the Lora module.

1 Like

Note that in Mbed OS 5.8 we will add a native LoRaWAN stack which will work with both SX1272 and SX1276 radios. Thread-safe, will work with any Mbed board, and EU pre-certified. Thus will also work with nRF5x boards, and should play nicely along with Bluetooth (although that poses some challenges on how to properly do deep sleep with both radios, but OK).

Demonstration application is here: mbed-os-example-lora.

Feature branch for Mbed OS is here and will be mainlined in the next major release.

4 Likes