LPS8-V2 freeze

I am a newbie to LoRaWAN. I want to extend the range for smart home devices outside my house.
My first experience now starts with the LPS8v2 gateway and a TrackerD GPS Tracker.

The LPS8v2 includes a built-in LoRaWAN Server and IoT server, which provide the possibility for the system integrator to deploy the IoT service without cloud service or 3rd servers.

Therefore I bought this device. I want to use my sensor data only locally, not send to the cloud.
Out of curiosity I use the TrackerD for range detection. I send messages (every 20min) from the TrackerD via the LPS8v2 to the TTNmapper.org. I have connected the gateway via ethernet cable to my internet router.

I have issues with the long term stability of the LPS8v2:

• Every now and then, the LPS8v2 freezes. Both the green led (one for ETH port, one for LoRaWAN server connection) goes off. Only the red led (power led) is shining.
  • Everyday, the LPS8v2 does a reboot. It seems to restart at midnight, I see the uptime never grows behind 24h.

I have contacted dragino, but did not get any answer.

For me, this seems to be an out of memory issue. Any other ideas?

Thanks for your friendly support.

Which would make this off-topic for this TTI funded TTN forum so assistance will be limited.

Apart from checking for firmware updates and any local power supply &/or ethernet/wifi issues, you should contact Dragino - they do respond - you may want to post on their forum.

This would put it outside the TTN and therefore out of scope for this forum.

This would also stop working if you drop off TTN and no longer feed the TTN to TTNMapper integration…

:slight_smile: See Nick just beat me to the finish line! :wink: same message…

These Dragino units seem to be popular and prior versions well used so woud likely expect that if an issue such as out of memory as you suggest then may see far more users commenting, which we have not seen. most likely a problem with your unit and its configurtion and/or your connectiosn per Nick.

Can you confirm you are using soley as a TTN GW and not attempting any mixed or local use that might then induce instability?..

Hi,
thanks for your superfast response!
I am not off-topic for sure. I do not use the second (local) server. Currently I am using the LPS8v2 as a plain gateway to TTN for sending the messages of the TrackerD to TTNmapper.org

I did submit a support enquiry via form on homepage > Support > Require Support
I did not get any response.

You mean “Dragino-user” @ groups.google.com?

Which PF are you using? How configured?

?? PF ??
Newbie, sorry…

Packet Forwarder…

Did you check for firmware updates, power OK and internet connection stable?

Did you post on the Dragino community? Regardless of me calling it a forum when it’s a Google Group (Po-tay-toe or Po-tar-toe), it is linked on the Dragino home page.

Have you followed up your original request to support? Maybe it got lost in their inbox and all you need to do is try again

hi, i have a LPS8 (v1) that was rebooting frequently, and i figured out it probably has to do with overheating. i see they have added ventilation holes in the enclosure, thats’s positive but maybe not sufficient so you could add a simple 5V fan as i did. i added a temp sensor to switch the fan on/off but it’s almost always on so i wouldn’t bother with that. as a first step you could leave it running without the cover for a few days to see if that improves stability.

update: I got a replacement of the hardware by the store I bought it… Everything is working now.

1 Like