Migrating a RPi IMST iC880A GW to V3; permanent fails

Hello,
I tried to migrate my RPi IMST iC880A GW to TTS V3 but it doesn’t work. I used Balena Cloud with repo of jpmeijers and did all necessary steps as described. “git push -f balena master” produces several errors and warnings:

W: Skipping acquire of configured file 'ui/binary-armhf/Packages' as repository 'http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian bullseye InRelease' doesn't have the component 'ui' (component misspelt in sources.list?)
E: Package 'python-rpi.gpio' has no installation candidate
W: Skipping acquire of configured file 'ui/binary-armhf/Packages' as repository 'http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian bullseye InRelease' doesn't have the component 'ui' (component misspelt in sources.list?)
The command '/bin/sh -c install_packages     wget     build-essential     libc6-dev     git pkg-config     protobuf-compiler     libprotobuf-dev     libprotoc-dev     automake     libtool     autoconf     python-dev     python-rpi.gpio' returned a non-zero code: 100
Service: main
[Error]        Error: The command '/bin/sh -c install_packages     wget     build-essential     libc6-dev     git pkg-config     protobuf-compiler     libprotobuf-dev     libprotoc-dev     automake     libtool     autoconf     python-dev     python-rpi.gpio' returned a non-zero code: 100
[Info]     Built on arm03
[Error]    Not deploying release.

The GW connects with V2 but not with V3. What could be wrong and how can I fix it?

BR,
Hans

Might be an issue with the age of the Pi as most software is compiled for the more modern arm chip in the Pi 3 and 4

Try using docker and GitHub - mpous/basicstation: LoRa Basics™ Station - The LoRaWAN Gateway Software

You can pull it with the instructions at Docker Hub but use armv7hf-latest not aarch64-latest as the tag

Not really.

It would appear its an issue encountered in other contexts as well with a less official library not being well handled across the deprecation of python2 in a quite recent OS install.

python-rpi.gpio is a python2 package.

The python3 package would by python3-rpi.gpio

But it’s not really the recommended way to interact with gpios, since it’s pi unique. There are more portable python solutions.

If the install is still trying to use python2, that’s probably going to cause a number of issues on a recent operating system image.

The issues has really nothing to do with TTN v3, but rather with having started over with an SD card containing a more recent operating system than was used in any previous success against v2.

I started with Balena Cloud image which I suppose was the recent operating system.

The problem is that it’s too recent for the process you’re trying to follow, which has not caught up.

That repo is V2 only, use this repo for V3.

Ok, I see! But it’s a bit confusing, I have no variable
GW_TTSCE_CLUSTER The TTS(CE) cluster being used: eu1, nam1, au1
in the device section.

Jippee, I’m in V3!!! Thank you Jac.

I use the ch2i RPi hat that has different LEDs like led_heartbeat, led_down, led_error and led_packet. Is it possible to use these LEDs further? I even have sensors in the GW can I use these too?

My GW includes a small USV to ensure that it could safely shut down at power cut. I would like to include it in BalenaOS. Is that possible? I have to install a small daemon to detect a power cut and shut down the Pi.

Can anyone point me to a tutorial for using these features?