Mikrotik LR8 expirience - cell backhaul?

Hi,

I’m shopping for a new gateway and the mikrotik is currently high on the list due to:
a) it’s price
b) the option for cell/gsm backhaul

I however have little expirience with RouterOS and have a few questions:

1. Can you configure the cell/GSM option as ‘backup’ connection?
  2. If so - how does that work? How does it detect that there is no connection anymore?
  3. if so - will packages ever get lost? As in - would a lora udp package be re-transmitted over cell/gsm if the primary connection fails?
  4. I’ve noticed that there seems to be a lack of feature development on this device - has anybody had issues with that in the field? Like - is lack of support for basic station something that has bothered you?

Thanks!

Dear @cyclops
I might be wrong, but I think that the Mikrotik Wap Lr8 Kit doesn’t allow gsm connection (there is only one miniPCI slot, that it is used by the LoRaWAN card).
Kind regards

On MikroTik Routers and Wireless - Products: wAP LR8 kit it shows:

BUT, it also states:
*) the device has no built in LTE modem, the SIM slot can only be used, if LoRa interface card is removed and replaced by an LTE modem

So… :frowning: :joy:

I guess my next question is - what’s a good LoraGateway that has Cellular ‘backup’ :slight_smile:

I have been testing a Robustel R3000LR(R3000 LG | Industrial LoRaWAN Gateway | Robustel) since june without any connection outage… its price is higher than mikrotik’s

If it does not need to be an outdoor gateway, you can take a look at WisGate Edge Lite 2

You can use my adapter board to fit two cards: miniPCI-e dual USB card extender | danman's blog

I believe there is also a way to setup mikrotik in a way it will send the packets over both connections.

1 Like

Thanks all - great suggestions!