Newbie near Cardiff (Llantrisant) South Wales

Hi all

Looking in the the log of my gateway I can see the below info. The gateway has been on for over 24 hours now but no packets yet. Does the log look ok? maybe I need to drive into the Cardiff area? Again very new so apologies. Pi4 running IoT LoRa Gateway HAT (RAK Wireless)

BEACON IS DISABLED!

Jul 14 17:19:06 iotloragateway iot-lora-gateway[491]: ### [JIT] ###

Jul 14 17:19:06 iotloragateway iot-lora-gateway[491]: # INFO: JIT queue contains 0 packets.

Jul 14 17:19:06 iotloragateway iot-lora-gateway[491]: # INFO: JIT queue contains 0 beacons.

Jul 14 17:19:06 iotloragateway iot-lora-gateway[491]: ### [GPS] ###

Jul 14 17:19:06 iotloragateway iot-lora-gateway[491]: # Invalid gps time reference (age: 1594743546 sec)

Jul 14 17:19:06 iotloragateway iot-lora-gateway[491]: # no valid GPS coordinates available yet

Well the easiest way to check out a gateway would be to build a node.

There are a couple of gateways in the centre of Cardiff which receive a reasonable amount of traffic.

There is a TTN group that meet in Cardiff, not sure when there might next be a meeting.

Hello and thanks for the reply
I have purchased a TTGO T-BEAM Lora32 with Neo6m GPS and really struggling with it. Managed to get a battery voltage reading in the serial monitor but this about all for now.

ESp32, not the easiest platform to start with in my experience.

Take it in stages. Write simple routines to test stuff, and save them. Much easier to debug a new build in stages rather than load a big program and find stuff does not work.

Get the GPS working, displaying stuff on the serial monitor etc.

Get the LoRa device working, at least transmitting simple packets. The easiest way to check this and strongly recommended is an el-cheapo USB SDR, it wont read the LoRa packets but it will tell you if the module is transmitting.

I have been playing with one of those real cheap ESP32CAMs today, real short of I\O pins, but it can do LoRa, wonder if there is a TTN application ?

Have a few SDR’s do will give that a go.

What device do you think would be a good starter?

Thanks again for the reply

I would normally invite people round to my (almost famous) shed, I live in the North of Cardiff, but it would currently be illegal to be in another building with someone from a different family group.

There is a local cafe that has seats outside (for others indooor cafes and pubs etc are not open in Wales) if your intested in a coffee\tea ?

That sounds like a plan! Would much prefer something like this. Let me know where ans when suits. And thanks very much

Sent a PM