Novice to Lorawan

You can not create a gateway using a single channel device. These are not compatible with TTN.

Consider yourself corrected!

It absolutely does matter…as pointed out TTN is a community/shared endeavour and if you use it you need to consider how you are contributing and adding to the community as well as how you can derive benefit :wink:

As pointed out this is a 433mhz device, and if your region is not supported for this frequency by ttn your gw will not receive correct channel plan when installed and registering into the network. Also as @wolf highlighted this is indeed a device node hat not a LoRaWAN gw hat (aka concentrator). Uses an SX126x based device and I would caution that for diy use library support for LoRaWAN libraries for this generation is still quite immature depending on development environment, though there are some tasty commercial devices around using SX126x as stand alone product, integrated into modules/SIPs and even integrated Si devices, we see new devices announced almost monthly. Use this to create a node if you must but do not attempt to create a gw using it and connect to TTN…you will only end up with a non compliant Single Channel Packet Forwarder (SCPF)…search forum. This are disruptive to you and other users in the community (forum search) and will most likely be on the wrong frequency even then… so yes it matters. For gw look for off the shelf products that fully support min 8 channel LoRaWAN (not just LoRa), or concentrator cards that can be used for embedded designs and self builds. Target devices are based on SX130x products not SX12xx.

1 Like

Isn’t that the Rolls-Royce solution that requires you to break the Fair Use Policy …

1 Like

this a great discussion… giving a lot of insight…

my primary objective is very simple… read the soil moisture from 3 different sensors and collect it as a database at a frequency of every 12 hours and plot a graph so that water conservation can be done and the farm get water throughout the year.

as i am doing all by myself i am bound to make mistakes and hope to learn from it! :slight_smile:

also i don’t mind keeping it offline if possible as it is my farm location has no internet connectivity at all neither there is a mobile connectivity as it is deep inside mountain ranges.

Sound like a very simple point to point LoRa system.

yes simple start but plan to extend with other sensors and then zone wise sensors hence i am also looking for scalability to be a part of it from day one.

So with no Internet connectivity how are you planning for the Gateway to forward data to TTN ?

the internet line is being worked upon and should be there sometime soon.

i want to setup the rest in the mean time so when the internet line comes to the farm i will have everything in a working state.

If you want to use TTN you need internet. That means the only way to setup things is at a different location where internet is available. If you want to use a standalone setup you don’t need internet, however that would not use TTN and is out of scope for this forum.

Hello eveyone, Me and my supervisor want to know if something can be done. We want to know if we can simulate the behavior of a gateway and be able to access the gateway protocols and add payloads to the message we send to the TTN

Search the forum. Both questions have been answered multiple times already.

Can You mention me in any of these questions I can’t seem to find them

Check

Also I strongly recommend you read the LoRaWAN specification, pay attention to MIC and what it does and go to GitHub - Lora-net/packet_forwarder: A LoRa packet forwarder is a program running on the host of a LoRa gateway that forwards RF packets receive by the concentrator to a server through a IP/UDP link, and emits RF packets that are sent by the server. for information on the protocols the packet forwarder uses.

1 Like

Or search the forum for;

‘Gateway simulator’

1 Like

There are many comments and articles all over the internet about Network Server in Lorawan. Yes, I understand why it should be. But I’m really curious and have trouble understanding this. So what happens if I don’t connect to Lorawan Network Server? So what if I only wanted to access my applications(like an HTTP server, MQTT Clients e.g.) with end-nodes and Lorawan gateways? Could you please give an example on the subject through 1-2 different scenarios?

And in addition, please be non-judgmental in your comments. I can try to explain more if my question isn’t clear, but exactly what I wanted to ask is the question I wanted to ask you above. Please, please don’t steer the subject in a different direction by saying that “you read these specifications first or you don’t understand this, etc.”. Thanks in advance for your understanding and valuable comments.

This sounds suspiciously like you have been asked a question for a college course and need an answer. Can you explain why you need us to answer this question?

1 Like

As a strict follower, I must say that you are a good detective, but this time you did not catch me (: No, I am not trying to find the answer to the question for an exam, lecture, or college. I have friends who manufacture industrial IoT devices using different wireless technologies over Gateways and Routers. These guys are dealing with traditional wireless communication systems and data transfers. And so they want to use Lorawan technology to the same standards. I could not explain them to why Network Stack is needed in LoraWan technology. They think LNS is a burden and restrictions on the network in free usage are a big problem. They claim that they want to remove LNS and directly access the Applications or a database with Gateway devices. They believe that they can solve it faster by acting as an aggregator and a bridge with the Internet, without dealing with the Server. Maybe they are right, I don’t know. My only purpose was to provide them with scenarios with plausible and solid evidence for using the LNS.

If they want to deviate from LoRaWAN by creating their own protocol using Lora they are free to do so. For LoRaWAN you need the network server is that is what makes it a network (as in what a telco provides).

For commercial parties that require advice/consulting I’m no longer providing it for free. May-be one of the other volunteers is willing to spend their valuable time.

1 Like

He rather lost me at "please be non-judgmental in your comments … Please, please don’t steer the subject in a different direction by saying that ‘you read these specifications first or you don’t understand this, etc.’”.

Not wording I find in “How to win friends & influence people”.

If someone has an apparent knowledge gap that can only be resolved by learning, it is not judgemental to say that you don’t understand and you need to read more, it’s a fact, but as I learnt LoRaWAN by reading & doing and answering questions here for a fair amount of time, it’s easy to spot.

What you want is us to write the answer to your ‘friends’ question because you were unable to explain how LoRaWAN works (which is almost all about the Network Server)? Which implies a knowledge gap. Or you want to create a solution that doesn’t required a NS and want someone to tell you how? Or you want to tell your ‘friends’ how to do it - which if you can’t explain to them why the NS is important can never go well when they start using LoRaWAN devices without an NS.

It appears to me that you actually wanted to know how to ditch the NS, not why the NS is pivotal to the LoRaWAN scheme. Given your ‘strategic’ approach to eliciting free consultancy, hopefully you will keep enquiries on topic for this forum which is LoRaWAN on TTS CE / TTN.

The Network Server can be thought of as the heart of a LoRaWAN network…cut out the heart and you don’t have a network! Sounds like you and your ‘friends’ need to understand the typical architecture and key elements and components of LoRaWAN networks…… 60 minutes watching Everything you need to know about LoRaWAN in 60 minutes - Johan Stokking (The Things Industries) - YouTube would not be a waste of your and your ‘friends’ time I feel….