OTAA Join Issue with ADR Settings ON

Hi Team,

We are facing an issue with OTAA Join.

Issue: Taking more time to Join/Active Device with the server (it took around half an hour)

Setup:
We have installed one gateway on our top floor (4th Floor) Terrace and we are testing the STM32WL Device from the ground floor. We have disabled ADR in the firmware of our Device (STM32WL).

In TTN Server By default ADR is ON, we are facing a JOIN issue with the default ADR ON setting on the server-side and ADR Disabled on the Device side.
We have tried disabling ADR from the TTN server-side. It was working as per our expectations.

Questions:

1. We just want to know if there is any dependency/impact of these ADR settings on the TTN server for OTAA Join.
  2. What is the role of ADR settings on the TTN server?

Thanks

Without knowing what the issue is, we can only guess. So can you tell us what you actually see - at minimum a screen shot of both the gateway & the device console, at best, the JSON from both for just the join period, formatted with the </> tool on this edit box.

When our device is sending Join Request to the server and the server is sending Join Accept to the device but our device does not receive Join Accept message from the gateway. we are getting an RX Timeout error on our device logs.

When we disable ADR settings from the server then our device successfully joined with the server and sent uplinks.

We want to know ADR behavior during device OTAA Join.

Thanks

That was the all important detail, thank you for clarifying.

There shouldn’t be any as ADR is not in the spec for a Join Accept.

Can you add some more debug in to the firmware to capture the Join Accept payload. This should also help determine if the device is actually getting the Join Accept (which seems likely) but can’t interpret it so it is being dropped.

Apparently, as my wife will attest, I’m wrong.

The channel setup & other information comes with some ADR & power settings baked in to the specification.

Certainly I see a very large downlink on my desk, it may be that the extra information increases the size of the downlink and it just doesn’t quite make it to the device.

I’ve been working on a somewhat related issue with ADR and ABP, see ADR features recently introduced to TTS March 2022, I can setup a test to see what my enhanced debug log shows me with an OTAA join with ADR on & off.

To provide context for the testing, why turn off ADR on the device?