OTAA restrictions when using RAK831 RPi3 as gateway

Hi all,

I was wondering (and I can vaguely remember that I read that somewhere, but I can’t find the place anymore where) there are any restrictions on OTAA on TTN concerning channels and DR (BW + SF) and used gateways.

Is that true and does anyone knows where I can’t find those?

I’m using a RAK831 gateway with RPI with Resin OS and service jpmeijers/ttn-resin-gateway-rpi following:
https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/docs/gateways/rak831/

A new installed Node doesn’t get detected (activated), this in contrast to my previous 3 nodes that connect flawlessly. Before contacting the supplier I wanted some technical details about OTAA TTN in combination with my RAK831 gateway.

Thanks in advance.

So you have 3 working nodes on that RPI gateway.

Now you have a new node that doesn’t join and before you contact the supplier you want to study OTAA… am I correct sofar ?

https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/docs/lorawan/

Yes correct, because I read somewhere that there are restrictions to OTAA on TTN. Something like, only SF12 on that channel, etc…
Is that true or should all (868Mhz) nodes can connect with TTN over a RAK831 RPi3 gateway (868Mhz)?
Regards,
Maarten

yes … but only if you can set the keys in the node yourself and they are not preprogrammed by some manufacturer and can not be changed without the manufacturers help

If you have a problem with connecting a specific device name that device here and tell what you’ve allready tried.

Is the new node using the same LoRaWAN stack the previous nodes use?

Hi BoRRoZ,

I cannot set the keys, i received the keys.
so they are preprogrammed by some manufacturer and can not be changed without the manufacturers help

I received values for:

DevEUI :
AppEUI :
AppKEY :

For AppEUI and AppKEY the values are not looking very randomized. More like 00112233… and AABBCCDD.

So that’s a big problem if I want to connect this node to TTN?

Regards and thanks.

That I can’t verify. It’s an off the shelf product, even IP68 so there’s nothing I can do. Just received the node (water meter) and 3 activation keys for OTAA. Because the water meter is IP68 and there is no possibility to configuration (not even one button) I can’t do anything but to contact the supplier.
On the other hand, with the advice from BoRRoz, it’s not possible to do OTAA on TNN when the device is pre-programmed with the 3 activation keys.

Regards, leare86

TTN device addresses will always start with 0x26 or 0x27 …

That one needs to be changeable for use with TTN as TTN does not allow setting it to anything but their generated value in the web console. However looking at the code of ttnctl (the command line tool) it looks like that would allow you to specify the app-eui when creating a new application.

doesn’t the Device Address gets assigned by OTAA?
2018-06-15%2012_03_44-The%20Things%20Network%20Console

OK, that’s a start to the solution of my problem :slight_smile:
But why can I change the AppEUI then when I create a new application? or even add multiple? when ‘TTN does not allow setting it to anything but their generated value in the web console’

2018-06-15%2012_10_20-The%20Things%20Network%20Console
2018-06-15%2012_11_00-The%20Things%20Network%20Console

So I made a new application with the ttnctl tool succesfully.
2018-06-15%2013_12_49-Opdrachtprompt

Now for my new device on that application I did it with the web console.
2018-06-15%2012_32_59-The%20Things%20Network%20Console

Here I see that the AppKey will be generated, but I clicked on the pencil and changed it. Is that allowed?

I forgot about those options because I rarely (if at all) use them.

If it was not allowed you would not be able to change it.