Private Network without internet

@cherechi Are you connecting your gateway to TTN or any other LoRaWAN service provider? And if not, do you have multiple gateways?

Hey Aizukanne,
Thanks so much for this very explanatory steps. I have carried out this process to the latter and my system is working find. but I am stuck now because my nodes now send data at various frequencies. but I want each node to send data at a fixed frequency and also recieve any form of commands at the same frequency. this will be just for testing purposes. I hope i can get a solution to this.
thanks in advance

Hi,

That would be redefining the standards. LoRa protocol specifes that nodes alternate transmissions across different select frequencies. It allows greater spectrum utilization.

As for sending data to remotes, it is scheduled in a window after each transmission. So the node will receive data on the last frequency he transmitted or a specified channel.

However, you can limit your nodes to the three mandatory frequencies but they will use any one of the three for each transmission.

Regards

Arinze

1 Like

LoRaWAN specifies that, “LoRa” does not.

Private networks are however off topic here, as this is the TTN forum.

Amazing description! Congrats.
It fits my solution i was looking all around the internet.
Do you recommend going DIY on the gateway? or any other prebuilt one that runs linux? I am open to any option really

Private networks are off topic on the TTN forum.

This post is quite old but let me ask this again because there may be better answers after 4 years. I want to use Lorawan for Marine Vessel Monitoring. My country has coastal areas far from an internet connection. If the Lora gateway is too far from an internet connection (3G), is there a way to somehow extend the Lora gateway by connecting it to another? For example, Lora gateway 1 is connected to 3G, Lora gateway 2 is in the coastal area which receives the boats data but is far from an internet connection so it must connect to Lora gateway 1.

The options to link gateways have not changed, still not possible.

Is the ‘Lora Gateway 1’ a TTN gateway ?

What would be the backhaul between Gateway 1 and Gateway 2 ?

LoRa itself seems very unsuitable, since it would run into legal duty cycle issues if it was forwarding more that a handful of packets from the remote nodes.

LoRaWAN has very recently had a relay mode incorporated into the standard, but that seems to be based on relays for individual nodes, and I wonder if even that has yet been implemented on TTN.

Yes Lora Gateway 1 is a TTN gateway but there are just a few TTN Gateways in my country :smiley:

Is there a way to extend the reach of the TTN Gateway?

There are a new relay feature announced by the LoRa Alliance

Also see https://www.dryad.net/ , they have implemented something like that.

1 Like

Just one really, put the antenna higher up.

Not really (apart from optimal antenna placement), however you can consider Satellite based LoRaWAN. Check Lacuna Space…

LoRaWAN Relay is about node to node comms to extend hopr of circumvents blindspots/terrain/building clutter or placement masking vs gw to gw. Indeed by alternating the way the LoRa ‘Chirps’ operate the GW’s are specifically set up to ignore messages from other GW’s otherwise all GW’s in range of each other would be busy reporting out other GW messages! :wink:

Hi to all
I am just building own smart gardening. TTN seems very practical and secure. Building private network is not leaving TTN but securing own system. TTN depends of internet connection. Agriculture automation usually is out of 3/4G spots or wired internet. Also, open area suffers lightning and occasionally loosing internet access. So, what about redundancy. Private network is option to have sort of redundancy. I believe , TTN should consider that, and offer access to GW or modify GW to be accessible as private network. Otherwise, I have to built parallel network for redundancy. Maybe there is better option, please help if there is. Thanks

Issue to resolve in this scenariao, is if TTN ‘supports’ the setup of a private network for ‘redundancy’ then it is providing and then presumably supporting, for free, the setup of private networks.

As other thread, please do not double post, because as you can see, it splits the responses & the time fo the volunteers.