Problem setting up a new The Things Indoor Gateway

In trying to set up a new The Things Indoor Gateway on TTN v3, and ran into 2 issues that maybe belong together.

Problems on TTN:
When I tried to add the Gateway on TTN via “Claim gateway”, where I, among other things, insert Gateway EUI (58A0CBFFFFxxxxxx) and the WiFi password.
When I try to exit, by pressing the blue “Claim gateway” button, the following error occurs:
TTIG-Error

Problems on The Things Indoor Gateway:
I have followed instructions for setting up the Gateway, and the Gateway has got an IP address from the DHCP on my Router. Can see that it is registered on the my Router.
The problem is that the Gateway is flashing green with 1/4 sec. When I disconnect the voltage from the Gateway, and reconnect it, it short blinks red / green and in a short period it blinks green with period of 1 sec. After that I start and continue blinking with a period of ¼ sec.
I guess that it is because there is no connected to LNS, nor maybe no radio listening.

What could be causing the problems?

Steen

Where did you buy the TTIG from … there have been channel related issues where TTN/TTI have then not been able to pull in config and finish claim from 3rd party server…

I bought it from RS Components, which is one of the European dealers you refer to.
I received it by post today. It was shipped from their EU warehouse in Germany.

Steen

That should be good. Are you absolutely certain on typing eui & pwd? Small print often means folk mistake common characters e.g. B & 8 etc. Double double check…

I’m 100% sure. I also checked up with the Gateway EUI that appears during WiFi setup. It appears at the bottom of the page (192.168.4.1) where my SSID was selected.
In this connection, I have also used the Password, which is also used under Claim gateway on TTN.
I have checked and tried several times so it is not typing errors etc. So 100% sure.

Can you try another Wifi network or tether it to a smart phone - it’s not known for outgoing ports to be blocked for no apparent reason.

I have tried to open relevant ports on my Router, without success.

I also have a single-channel gateway running, which can be registered on TTN without any problem. It’s UDP on port 1700.

In relation to connecting The Things Indoor Gateway I have now tried to:

• use another Router which is connected directly to my Fiberbox.
  • connect via a mobile network on my mobile phone
  • connect The Things Indoor Gateway via some friend’s network-connection

All attempts give the same problem where the Gateway shows olny a quick blinking.

I have analyzed via my router what the TTI Gateway tried to contact IP 52.169.76.20 which belongs to Microsoft and Microsoft Azure. As I know TTN now now use Amazon.

Could it be the Firmware in the Gateway that pointed to something V2 related? The firmware has version 2.0.4, and is from 2020-07-07.

Steen

Now kindly remove it! (Use forum search for why). May be working for you but could be a complete bitch for some other poor TTN user…

The inserted characters are FFFE and not FFFF. You can also directly get the 16 digit EUI at the bottom of the TTIG’s WiFi UI window. You can check our docs here: The Things Indoor Gateway | The Things Stack for LoRaWAN

Hello,

I get we should not use single channel gateway but I did not found if it was possible on a private TTS network ?

Is that possible ?

Probably, but given all the other issues that arise with getting a SCPF to work with devices, if you want to pay for the challenge, that’s fine, but we will still be reluctant to assist with anything that’s SCPF related.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply Krishna!!

I discovered my error when I directly copied Gateway EUI from the bottom of the page (192.168.4.1) where my SSIDs are selected.
I had forgotten to inform about it.

I am aware that single channel gateways are not well-liked. I have used it to gain more knowledge about LoRa, LoRaWAN and TTN.
Now I use 100% TTIG, and concentrate on building end devices.

1 Like