Problem with E32 LoRa module

Hi friends.
I am new on ttn.
I need to send data with E32 module and arduino Uno
When i try to send, i have this message : No response from RN module
i see on ttn a gateway about 2 km of me. do you think the problem can become from the gateway ?
i will receive my self gateway the next week.
thanks for your help

Hi David,

Can you give us the exact part number of E32, as far as I know, most of them do not have any LoRaWAN facilities so you/we will need to check if you have a module that can do LoRaWAN.

Also, which Arduino Library are you using?

ā€˜RN Moduleā€™ suggests possible use of a Laird RN2xxx LoRaWAN module attachedā€¦over serial/AT link? ā€¦but we need to know a LOT more before setpping in to assist I guess :wink:

Hi, i bought this one :
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07GQQ5Q4W

Those are standard LoRa modules with a simple Serial UART front end.

There is no support for using them on LoRaWAN\TTN that I am aware of and the interface does not provide the fine control that is required for LoRaWAN\TTN.

That module can only do point 2 point, itā€™s hard coded in to the module.

It can not do LoRaWAN, there are no commands that allow it to be repurposed.

If you want a low cost starter device, Iā€™d go with:

https://www.amazon.fr/Adafruit-Feather-RFM95-Lora-Radio/dp/B01MRY3ETX

There are other low price options but if you are starting out with LoRaWAN, I do not recommend them unless you have most of a university degree in Electronics with strong programming skills.

The plus here is that you have a gateway on the way - any LoRaWAN development is made much easier having one that you can see the local & web console logs for.

i have an arduino uno and i canā€™t change, so i need a module to add to this UNO

Thanks a lot

If you can edit the links down so we donā€™t get all the extra tracking info, that would be a good thing.

Why canā€™t you change? If I said it would cost you ā‚¬500 if you didnā€™t change, would that help? The Adafruit device is Arduino compatible and is considerable technical but possible.

The first item linked requires no soldering skills but super human patience (mostly on our part), for you to be very careful about following instructions and having most of a university degree in a combination of electronics & programming.

The seconds is like an Arduino compatible but as you will already have found when you searched the forum to check on these items, it has some issues that people are still figuring out.

To advise you better, can you tell us what you are trying to do / achieve. Is it learning, or you have a particular project in mind. Are you studying electronics or programming, are you a maker or a student? If a student, is this course work and if so, which university & course?

Ok
i am working on beesmonitoring for myself
i have already buy a lot of arduino uno and material.
at this time, i send data by sms to my server but i donā€™t want sms now because it is not good for bees, so i would like to send data by lora but i would like only change my sim900 actual to a lorawan module connected on my uno R3. i spended a lot of money and i canā€™t change all my system
thank for your help

Iā€™m personally reluctant to assist further as you have a link that tracks after being asked to edit it which hasnā€™t happened. You will see that the link to the recommended device does not have any tracking. Not sure why you removed the other link.

And I already answered in post #6. Please note the warning.

No. That is about the worst choice available given the size of the LoRaWAN stack required and the available memory in an Uno. Find the LM502 demo board (AliExpress lists them), check the manual for it at The Dragino site which has an example on how to use it with an Uno.

hi
i am sorry, i donā€™t understand anythingā€¦
i just remove the other link.
and i just order the thing uno, i think it is the best choise ?

The best choice is arguable but TheThing Uno is a reasonable choice. Certainly better than the shield you linked to earlier.
It will allow you to run a decent amount of sensor code on the Uno without running out of memory.

This is because The Things Uno, in addition to the ATmega328 microcontroller, uses a RN2483 LoRaWAN module. That module has its own microcontroller which handles the LoRaWAN protocol.

When using an SPI based LoRa module (not RN2483) instead then Arduino Uno (and alike) would be a bad choice because the (single) microcontroller will also have to handle the LoRaWAN protocol which requires more memory. Which in case of ATmega328 leaves little room for anything else.

@descartes means that you should only post clean URLā€™s and remove any tracking information from the URL (e.g. ā€˜ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1ā€™) before posting it on the forum.

I have already removed it from the link for you.

You first bought Arduino Uno and E32 module which you did not get to run.
After asking for help it was told this is not usable, not a good combination for LoRaWAN.

Then you ordered a Things Uno.

And only afterwards you ask if this is the best choice.

It is usually wiser and more rewarding to ask for advice before buying than vice versa.

1 Like

Are you basing that on actual published studies, or just things your beekeeping friends wonder about?

Is there a LoRaWAN gateway that covers the area of your hives?

What exactly do you want to report, what sort of message sizes, how frequently, etc?

This could be a good LoRaWAN application if you have a number of hives that can be supported from a single gateway installation, and not expending as much power as typical mobile data solutions would be useful, too. It will he a substantial ā€œprojectā€.

You could also consider simply putting the mobile data modem in a box on a 3 meter high pole (or just putting it some small distance from the hive at ground level), as RF field strength rapidly falls off with distance.