Problems with nodes in join request loop with PiSupply Gateway Hat (RAK2247)

ill keep an eye on it for a few days and then start doing some range testing

1 Like

In range of either the GW at Pity Me not far from the A1 or the intermittent GW near Bournmoor. Other possibilities are (if high enough in the hills -perhaps if driving around) over in Sunderland or the one on the East side of the Consett community…?

Once your node is picked up by a GW that can send a join accept that is received by the node ok all should then be good as the credentials are established and the node seen as ‘good’ by the LNS, node keeps transmitting messages that are picked up by any GW in range - and it looks like yours sees uplinks ok, and then forwards, so you would see traffic in your application even if you havent resolved the downlink reception issue associated with your GW… (I would expect!). If you fancy a bit of a drive anytime one of my GW’s (Wylam) over in the Tyne Valley is well visible from Crawcrook and much of Prudhoe - so you dont even have to cross the river :wink: you could try cycling your node there and see how well/easily it connects to the network…that would eliminate the node as a problem itself or highlight issues - the other option is get another COTS known good unit to test your GW and assist in debug - a TTN Node or a simple low cost T&H or door/window/contact sensor etc.

It sounds like the node firmware has a link check mechanism that gradually and slowly ratcheted up the SF over a few connection attempts until hitting one where the signal got through at a distance, which might explain why it finally linked once in a new place over those couple of hours…(roughly) where was work that day?

The standard for OTAA RX1 is fixed in the LoRaWAN regional specifications and has not changed.

That looks like there are 4 downlinks in a very narrow window which is suspect.

Can you please show you global_conf.json and local_conf.json?

wow @Jeff-UK didn’t realise you were so close.

My gateway is the one next to Bournmoor, should appear just at the entrance to our housing estate as I’m hosting it at home. I was ideally going to do some testing and get it set up with the eventual hope of upgrading the setup so that it could reach our allotment at Penshaw Monument so that i can do some remote monitoring.

Would be great to see your setup, I think i’m being fairly (over) ambitious in terms of range for non-commercial grade stuff. I do have another location I can use which is about half way between but is another house so would have to be a fairly small unobtrusive GW.

I have another couple of node units on order to do some more testing, initially looking at fairly basic stuff like temperature, humidity moisture type stuff but wanted to do it in a way that grew the network so others could use aswell rather than just doing a point to point thing for just my needs.

Good to know there are some more GW’s near by, the other ones i had been using to test is the one at FabLab in Sunderland and the one near my work (location unknown) near Silverlink in North Tyneside but obviously I cant see the backend of those ones

Actually not that close - Thames Valley based! with touch down locations in N.West and Tyne Valley. But I have some ~50 Gw’s deployed for community use around the country (and elsewhere) with another approx 120-150 through friends/collaborators & clients, all around the country.

Did some mapping & coverage checks around Netwon Aycliffe & Durham 5-7 years back when was looking to deploy GW’s and possibly set up community(ies) in N.East but got little traction. Did set up Tyne Valley Commmunity mind some years back and have 3 GW’s up there - 2 offline ATM - once since before Covid :frowning: Get up a few times a year so may ping on Spring trip if you are around… due to put GW’s in Prudhoe & potentially Humshaugh near Hexham when I can sort backhaul arrangements…was looking on hills around A1 jn 61 & Durham services and down close by a curry house in Bowburn but site hosts wouldn’t commit to long term access! See there is now one intermittent over hills east side of A1 from jn 61 near Cassop (a TTIG monitoring a motorhome I believe?!)

have you done much with more domestic based gateways, guessing all of yours are full mast type deployments based on your issues with wayleaves and backhaul etc.

ideally i think i need to get about 1mile, but could probably get away with half a mile although there are houses and things in the way so wouldn’t have line of sight

@stroga, you’ve established that the device will join & send uplinks when in range of another gateway.

The gateway log you provided above doesn’t show any uplinks being heard.

So the most obvious test is to get the device about 5m + brick wall away from the gateway, turn it on and then go and look at the gateway log on the Pi to see if it is hearing the device.

And in the spirit of “is it plugged in”, is there an antenna on the gateway?

Will DM you rather than take up this thread with more off topic discussion :wink:

1 Like