Programming LoRaWAN Endnodes at scale

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but I am just gauging the general knowledge that’s out there.

We are trying to make a LoRaWAN service. We maintain the hardware and the application for our customers. I am baffled as to how to program thousands of LoRaWAN devices in the assembly line.

As far as I know, for each LoRaWAN endnode, there must be an unique Device EUI. The Application EUI can stay the same for groups of endnodes but the App Key is different for every device as well.

Programming each device with unique keys during the manufacturing process must be a solved problem. My best guess is some sort of python script that automates changing the keys after every programming. Is there a smarter way to do this?

Thanks!

For TTI and future TTN V3 microchip secure elements should solve your issue.
Check https://www.microchip.com/design-centers/security-ics/trust-platform/trust-go/trust-go-lora-secure-authentication-with-join-servers

1 Like

The secure preference is the chips Jac mentions above.

Each MCU needs programming and many MCU’s have options that can be used - so you can program a standard code base and at the time of flashing that, put a unique id in to EEPROM.

Alternatively, put some serial interface that allows some config that is then stored in EEPROM - this can be automated as well.

At worst, you can automate writing out a config file, trigger a compile and flash that - not great, just don’t do this unless you’ve got a device that gives you no choice.

1 Like

Mixing some uniqueness into production programming is not at all unusual.
Most production programming software has method for “serialization”
Often it’s useful to combine it with a degree of automated functional testing, too.

A python script is a great way to tie it all together. And probably a pogo-pin fixture with lever action that can quickly clamp each board - or even automated probing before the boards have been individually cut from the assembly panel.

Ideally the unique electronic information gets tied into some visual identifier on the board. Since print-on-demand solutions tend not to be very permanent, I’ve often felt it made sense to go the other way - stick on permanently pre-printed QR code labels, scan them, and make the electronic identify stored reflect that. Generate a random key, and store the combination of identity, key, and test result in a database.

Depending on the environment where it happens, you could also have a gateway setup and do some over-the-air testing.

In terms of specific storage mechanism, if you aren’t using a dedicated memory you may need to be careful about what parts of memory you do write to. Most flashing tools can be told to erase or write to less than everything. If you understand the technology of the flash memory you can typically even leave something at an unprogrammed state and come back and overwrite it later, but for ECC flash you may have to do that at the granularity of fairly large words. Sometimes flashing tools cannot get at on-chip EEPROM very easily, but you can write a stub to run from RAM which does. Keep in mind that a fully spec-compliant LoRaWAN node basically has to have non-volatile memory used in operation to track either the frame count or the join session and previously utilized join nonces. Sometimes an off-chip memory is used; in that case you can have the simplicity of having the on-chip flash image identical for all examples, and only have uniqueness in the initial block of the off-chip memory.