Question to E78-868LN22S LoRaWAN Module (ASR6501 Chip) - Payload 0 bytes?

Is this through a serial port as what I was trying to find out was what sort of microcontroller you were using to drive the E78 module - like STM32 or MSP430 or ATmega4809?

I just ordered two of these to play with, it will take some time before they arrive.

i connected the module serial port (3.3v uart)
via the cp2102 (usb uart bridge) to my win10 device.

i am already using E32 LoRa modules from ebyte,
they are working fine,

my test:

now i like to start with LoRaWAN.

Your commands appear to turn off confirm but the screen shot for ABP looks like it’s confirming so it’s not clear what the settings may be.

Can you try a CSTATUS after the DTRX to see what the result was?

I see you are using a prototyping board to evaluate your E78 module.

You may think about to transit onto my E78 breakout board design:

i measured the supply voltage close to the module,
there was a voltage drop about 300mV during initialisation and
a voltage drop about 300mV during Tx.

(3.3V-0.3V is still inside the specification 2.5V-3.7V,
but maybe this can cause some instability)

i added 1000uF and a connection for optional external power supply,
now the supply voltage is clean and stable.

AT+CSTATUS?
returns
07 – there is data sent and success but no download

the breakout board looks fine,
have you calculated the rf-output-trace to 50R ?

now sending data to TTN is working fine,
i use AT+DTRX=0,1,10,0123456789
(without ack.)

maybe there is a space (wiki) on TTN available
for creating a small docu - connecting E78… to TTN.

Just create a new topic with an appropriate title like “How to connect an E78 to TTN” - posts don’t have to be questions.

2 Likes

i updated my test setup again

• soldered thicker wires for VCC and GND
  • added 1000uF close to the module (already mentioned)

now it looks stable, the test setup is supplied via a LDO from USB / USB-OTG

a simple docu with the test config:

Hello. Tell me please, what return is by the “AT+CGMR?” command?
My return is v1.0, and the command “AT+DTRX=0,1,10,0123456789” return “OK+SEND:05” (the packet length is 5 bytes, no 10), but nothing comes to my gateway

To be clear, uplinks on port 0 without an application payload are network housekeeping messages which have been sent by the device’s LoRaWan stack on its own, rather than as a result of a command to send application data.

Somtimes this housekeeping information can ride along on application data messages, other times it requires a message by itself. Some node software architectures mean the stack doesn’t really get a chance to do things on its own timing, so if requested to send application data but necessary housekeeping has to occur first, it may send a housekeeping message on port 0 instead of sending the requested data. (Some stacks will also do a join request in such situation if asked to send when not yet joined)…

In terms of the new posting:

nothing comes to my gateway

This thread is about uplinks of unexpected form and content. A gateway not receiving any uplink at all is a very different sort of problem and should be in its own thread.

Try this:

AT+DTRX=0,1,10,00010203040506070809

Then:
AT+DTRX=0,1,5,0123456789

And that’s supposed to be helpful how?

Hello,

I am trying to configure this exact module to send a uplink payload data of size 96 bytes to TTN. I have configured the correct data rate (SF7 BW125KHz). I also tried to split my data into 4 and queue them, but to no success. When I try to send my data in 96 byte format, I can only see 51 bytes on my console. When I queue them, I have to wait for the module’s response “OK+SENT” after I send my first part of data.

This sounds like typical limit under SF12 with EU868 scheme vs your SF7… check set-up/config…

Hello,

The module looks to be correctly configured, as I query data rate and receive window parameters. And gateway’s LoRa Channel configurations are set up as to be EU868 - SF7.

This payload size is exactly 51 bytes.

That’s just plain not appropriate on the community network, regardless if you split it into multiple pieces or not.

You’re probably running into some sort of limit in the stack or another, but the reality is that you just shouldn’t be trying to do this. If you actually need to move that much information, and can’t better compact it, then you need a different technology.