Breakout board for Ebyte E78 (ASR6501) MCU+LoRa module

I’ve recently made public my own PCB design of breakout board for Ebyte E78 module.

GitHub project link: https://github.com/lyusupov/Ebyte-E78-breakout-PCB

The module contains ASR6501 SoC which is actually Infineon (former Cypress Corp) PSoC 4100S core plus Semtech SX1262 LoRa radio.

2 Likes

Hello Linar:
The break out board looks great!
One question though; why did you add pads on the base of the E78 module (DIO5, DIO6, DIO7, etc). I don’t see the E78 module having those pads available… Is there other modules that come with those pads?
BTW, does anyone have the schematics for the E78 module? It would be good to have them so we can re-populate some of the functionality flashing a new firmware.
Thanks and good work!
Thanks for sharing.

Regards;
Gus

Thanks Linar:
Sure! I missed that! I wasn’t familiar with the E70 module…
I’m trying to connect to E78 via SWD using CMSIS-DAP (v1.1 and v2) but so far I wasn’t lucky… I just bough a Kitprog 2 board, so I hope I can test these modules very soon…
Thanks
Gus

Thanks @Linar
I have been able to reburn E78 firmware V4.4 using you breakout board.
Kind regards from Madrid
photo_2021-07-02_12-31-07 photo_2021-07-02_12-31-01

Hi, can you help me to attach my kitprog ? I couldn’t do it.

All connections are right but Cypress still says “PSoC device is not acquired!”

Dear @tortudereli
I am using the kitprog included in this kit
https://es.rs-online.com/web/p/kits-de-desarrollo-de-microcontroladores/1769834

After detaching from the main board, it’s automatically upgraded to kitprog 3 by PSOC Programmer software…
and the it is just a matter of wiring (as showed in my previous photo) and programming with PSOC creator software.

HI,
I’m trying to connect directly to E78 module (without any breakout board, only 100nF capacitor connected), powered by 3.3V power supply, and kitprog3 exactly from the same kit You use (with removed D1 diode).
Unfortunately, after hundreds of tries, pressing PSoC programmer Port selection icon, and trying to detect memory type (button “load from device”) I succeeded only one time.
IMG_20210910_220331

I still got message " FAILED! PSoC device is not acquired! Check connection of the chip to the programmer"
I was trying with two different E78 modules :frowning:
Finally i connected logic analyser to check how swd/reset lines work, and there i 4.5MHz signal, and it tries several times to reset device…

I also contacted ebyte, and they claim that the modules, are not locked for programming.
Could you please check what are the version of your kitprog3 and PSocProgrammer
I use KitProg3. CMSIS-DAP Version 2.0.0. Firmware Version 2.21.1005. Hardware Id 03. and PSoC Programmer 3.29.1.4659

Thank you in advance
Kris

This is how I program the E78 module

2 Likes

U are the man.

I cannot see the module in “Select Debug Target”. I just see KıtProg3 , nothing else.

Can you press the “Acquire target” button in the “Select Debug Target” dialog box?

1 Like

I did but , just get another error.

Sorry @tortudereli

I’ve got no more information.

I was also unable to program the first 2 E78 I ordered from EByte… but all the ordered after can be burned seamlessly (I insisted to EByte that I wanted E78 with the AT firmware; the first 2 ones didn’t have any firmware)

Hi
Finally found out how to do it. You can find more details here on my blog

2 Likes

E-Byte is now selling ASR6601 based module while using the same product ID - E78-868LN22S.

The ASR6601 looks like a customized Cortex-M4F core, that has a lot of design features similar to the STM32L4 from STMicro.

The radio component is Semtech SX1262, same as ASR6501 had.

Ouch. Is there better documentation for the new module available?

here the ASR6601 version of E78 is announced with a 8 bit ST microcontroller (STM8L152) and a 32 bit ARM Cortex M4 inside ASR6601 :pensive:

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005003695424851.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.3.62ec7aa3RUzUIl

Maybe some confusion between ASR6601 and ASR6505 (STM8)…

https://asriot.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html