RAK 2245 / 2247 - LoRa Concentrator boards

Absolutely and will handshake with a POE injector/switch and accepts up to 48volts on either the data lines or the 2 spare pairs.

1 Like

Hey all,

I’m currently setting up a Gateway based on a RAK2245, a Raspberry Pi and a Siro GP868C.

Because I have less experience with radio technology I’m a little unsure about the regulations I need to comply with, especially about the max. Tx power that is allowed within the EU (I live in Germany).

In my understanding the max. ERP in Europe is 14dBm. According the Datasheet the RAK2245 has a Tx Power of 27dBm.

Do I need to change any settings in the gateway config in order to be compliant with the European regulation?

In addition the Antenna of my choice has a gain of (5,14dBi / 3dBd). Am I allowed to use this combination?

Thank you in advance!

Hi!
Anyone know how to view the GPS data from RAK2245 Lora Gateway?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Hey Tim,

if you are using the RAK2245 with a RPI

sudo cat /dev/ttyAMA0

should work.

Hi,

What brand and diameter of pipe did you use?
Do you have a specific name for these caps you used on the pipe?

:rofl:

I didn’t make it… you must ask @indusconn or @TonySmith

Both of these are constructed from standard plumbing pipes. From a previous job in the plastic pipe and fitting industry I know pipe sizes are not the same worldwide. Mine is 40mm pipe with a standard End Cap on one end and a FI Threaded (socket) fitting at the other. It looks to me @Indusconn is using sewer pipe as I can see the pipe is thin wall with expanded ends and there are screw cap fittings which are sewer inspection points. Pipe material varies around the globe but is generally made from PVC or ABS.

So you use Pi Zero with USB to Ethernet adapter connected to POE injector (extractor)?

Not quite. To make it compact I designed and built my own Ethernet circuit which incorporates a PoE power supply. To connect to the PiZero I wrote my own driver as the SPI port is already used for the Lora radio module.

1 Like

When considering RAK2247 with Linux PC, keep in mind that uses code discontinued by Semtech in 2015. Semtech discontinued the code with good reason (timing inaccuracies due to the USB to SPI translation which cause scalability issues), a nice test setup for very few nodes, not advisable for production use or use with larger node counts.

4 Likes

We would love to see your setup detailed out here. Would you mind to post it?
I am currently using a raspi zero with the rak2245 pi hat and as the next step I want to power it by using poe in conjuction with a usb to ethernet adapter for the data flow.

:thinking:

see your last post in this topic AND the answer you’ve allready got

Hello all,

I’ve one of these on a Raspberry PI 3 board. I was wondering if anyone has thought of incorporating an LED to indicate connection status to TTN?

Simple enough, green if the gateway is connected to the network, red if it hasn’t connected within a defined time period. Just need to find two unused GPIO pins (any ideas?) & run a simple script from startup to handle the switching.

Regards,

You could add some GPIO switching in the start.sh script to show progress at first start. However it won’t change back from green to red if the connection is lost.

if you want to add GPIO output to drive the LEDs, have a look in the script and see how the reset pin (usually GPIO 17) is configured and then set to 1 or 0. Just do something similar for the GPIO’s driving the LEDs.

The reset script doesn’t really know the status after failure either.

Viable places to put it would be in the packet forwarder code, or in a wrapper thereof.

Personally I use a status watchdog that looks for round-trip connectivity with the network server, but that’s a little easier to do with a custom server than with TTN. With TTN you could probably indicate the time since last ack (known to the packet forwarder) or perhaps hit a gateway admin API.

A little research will show that re-purposing the Ethernet LEDs may be an option to installing additional ones, not that putting an LED on a pi is hard.

Thanks for the replies.

I’ve looked around but can’t find the schematic or wiring diagram for the pins used by the RAK2245 HAT. Can anyone provide a link or diagram with the info?

What specifically are you looking for? It’s unclear that the recent boards are going to have any hardware status output.

Even something earlier like the RAK831 that broke out more signals didn’t have a pass/fail status as much as it had things that showed the operating mode in a transmit vs. receive sense.

If you have software status from the packet forwarder or something supervising it, that you could display on a LED you wire up in the method of your choosing.

Thanks for the reply. I might just use something like a python script (running as a service from startup) running on the raspberry pi to check the gateway status via a http request & update the LEDs depending on the response.

The hard part looks like figuring out which GPIO pins are free to use for the LEDs

Pins used are available here from the PDF entitled:

Design Guide on Comparison between RAK831 & RAK2245 Pi HAT